Probably the last place to go, but hey, worth a shot

I am currently doing a project in bash script and I have a question about referencing an array.

What I want to do is put a reference of an array as an element in an array. This is obviously done in C++ with * and perl with \

For example : Perl :
@base3 = ('S', 1, 3, 3, \@L1, \@R1);
and L1 and R1 are obviously predefined arrays

Now with Bash... I want to do exactly the same thing, but I can't find out how to do it. Been searching for the last 30 minutes and came up with nothing.

Here is basically the same exact thing, except in Bash now:
base3=( "S" 2 20 10 [4]=${L1[@]} [5]=${R1} )

But with this, it will just list all the elements, which is obviously not what I want to do ( This is going to be a recursive problem where I am going to send the array elements as parameters, so accessing them as easily as possible would be fantastic)

If it is impossible, then all right, but I was wondering if any experienced programmers here in the Pit can help me out.

Thanks
have you looked up on the net for guides on arrays? there is bound to be a helpful one around somewhere
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by cyclobs
have you looked up on the net for guides on arrays? there is bound to be a helpful one around somewhere

Of course. I have been searching through references and tutorials and example programs for quite a bit now. I know it can be done in C++ and what not, I just don't want to stop at the conclusion it is not possible in Bash, and that is where I am at right now.

I guess I don't understand if it can be done in Perl, why not bash?

If anyone knows what I am talking about....

>.<
well as far as i know you can near write a whole program with bash scripting so i don't see why you can't.

i dout you would find programmers here tho. you could try on your distibutions' forums or ubuntu forums if you use that.

i don't really understand much about arrays since i haven't gotten that far in programming >.<

EDIT: also don't forget bash scripting is just batch script except the ability to use many programming elements
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Last edited by cyclobs at Oct 12, 2008,