I have looked around and like the sound of Krank amps, I have yet to hear a ENGL in person. Which would you say is a better sounding amp for Metal, slayer, Atreyu, style stuff?

I was looking at the revolution and the Fireball 60w head is one better than the other in terms of tone, and reliability?
The Fireball is voiced better and has thicker more true tone with each guitar - Engls are really built to hell - im not sure about Krank though

Krank are a terrible company however and probably should be ignored by consumers for their underhand tactics.

Krank amps are good though

Erock has some great clips.
I'd take an Engl over a Krank any day, cheaper and better, far more flexible too
ohai little sig.
based on the bands I've heard that use either amp, i would have to go with ENGL.
Quote by davedoom

Krank are a terrible company however and probably should be ignored by consumers for their underhand tactics.

what do you mean?
sorry, i havnet heard anything by either however..

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
i prefer engl, based on the models i've tried from each company. More versatile (apart from the fireball) and (in my opinion) sound better for metal too. However, i've heard that krank have released a few new models which (allegedly) sound a bit better. it'll also likely depend a lot on whether you're in europe or the USA... in europe, engls are much better value, in the USA, kranks are a bit cheaper than engls.

wait till erock turns up, though, as he's a good guy and knows his onions about high-gainers- he likes krank, so there must be something to it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by davedoom

The only reason I can think that you'd say that is because of what happened on Harmony-Central a few years ago, if I'm not mistaken, those employees were fired. Krank has GREAT customer support, better than I've EVER heard of from any other company and their products are built with high quality parts.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^You're one of them!

Hahaha. I remember when they first came out, those employees were everywhere - i still wouldn't buy one over an Engl though no matter how good the said parts are supposed to be.
ive never tried either, though judging by the bands using them, kranks get that really chainsaw gain kind of tone. im judging this on the stuff i've heard by as i lay dying, and the haunted...the remind me of dimes tone, with the really presence filled sound. i think dime may have used them towards the end of his lifetime, instead of his randalls...
i've always thought engl was higher quality, but im not a SUPER high gainer, and as far as i know ENGL cleans are far superior the kranks..if u use cleans very much, i'd go with the engl..i find its good to have a decent amount of versatility, mainly because my interests always change and i like to be able to use a variety of tones..but thats me, it depends on your interests
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Would it be a wise decision to spend an extra 400 or maybe 500 on either a Krank or ENGL head vs. buying a used crate tube head?
From my experience with Krank, I'd have to go Engl all the way.
I've heard some nice clips of Krank amps, and they sounded good. I got the chance to try one, the Krankenstien, and I wasn't impressed at all. No matter how I set the amp up it just kept sounding muddy. I thought the amp may have had something wrong with it, so I asked around, and I've heard from others that it's kind of the same thing.

This is just my personal taste though.
It also depends on the Engl you're looking at as well. If I had the cash to get a Krank, I'd just get my hands on a Powerball instead. It'd be worth putting up the extra cash.

JMO.

EDIT- And I don't know what Crate model people are talking about, but every Crate I've tried was trash. Once they get cranked they tend to break up, and there tube heads pretty much do the same. Considering you can grab a Fireball used for like $800 or cheaper, I'd just go Engl.
Last edited by caraluzzo at Oct 13, 2008,
ya, ive got a tube cratehead , and i love it , but ill be the fisrst to say, it sure as hell isnt a krank or engl
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Symphony X is the first band that comes to mind when I think of ENGL. I can't think of anyone that uses Krank...I know Dimebag had a signature that I'm not sure he even used.
dimebag used kranks from like 6 months before he died
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
dimebag used kranks from like 6 months before he died

So you're saying that might have had something to do with it
The Black Dahlia Murder also uses Krank.

Plus GWAR, Shadows Fall, Despised Icon, and Arch Enemy if I'm not mistaken.
Quote by DaveyAreAwesome
The Black Dahlia Murder also uses Krank.

Plus GWAR, Shadows Fall, Despised Icon, and Arch Enemy if I'm not mistaken.

I thought Arch Enemy dumped Krank...
Quote by 4regt4
So you're saying that might have had something to do with it

Did you look at his sig!?!?
Quote by 4regt4
I thought Arch Enemy dumped Krank...

Indeed they did, both Michael and Chris Amott are using and endorsed by Randall.
Behemoth use Krank amps, As I Lay Dying do as well and a handful of others, and Despised Icon dumped Krank, one of the guitarists was using a Revolution in stereo with a 5150 II, but has been using Randall's for live shows a lot lately.
Anyways, to the Original question, I'd take an Engl over a Krank anyday, I'm currently gassing over an Engl Thunder with how stripped down and still versatile as it is, nice 50 watt workhorse amp IMO, better using 50 watts than 120 of the 6505 in my bedroom
Quote by caraluzzo
Amon Amarth use Krank I believe.

I thought they used Mesa/Boogie. Could be both.

I know BTBAM uses Mesa/Boogies.
*A list of all my gear*

Varg/J Mascis/GG Allin are all the same person.

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Death by diamonds and pearls.
Both Krank and ENGL are companies that have very distinct voicings in their amps. The ENGL voicing will appeal more to the majority of people, but the Krank tone is ideal for some. You really need to pick a few models and play them.

The best amp from Krank (imo) is the Krankenstein+ which I would definitely take over the Powerball which is more expensive. With a boost, this can achieve some really great metal tones.

Once you get into the Savage 120 range and higher, I think ENGL offers better amps (and as they should, the price difference is significant).

ENGL support is very hard to get a hold of in the US because they are a German company. I sent them an email over a month ago and they never got back to me.

Krank support I've heard nothing but good about. I'm pretty sure they have a great warranty too.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by caraluzzo

EDIT- And I don't know what Crate model people are talking about, but every Crate I've tried was trash. Once they get cranked they tend to break up, and there tube heads pretty much do the same. Considering you can grab a Fireball used for like $800 or cheaper, I'd just go Engl.

I was thinking either Krank revolution 100w or the ENGL Fireball 60w, they both seem to be around the same price used. $750 to $1000 US. I was thinking about the Rev jr. but don't know for the price I can get a lot more amp for just a little more. I probably don't need that much amp at the time, but it's only a 150 to 300 more for the other heads.
From what I remember seeing when I saw them in New Zealand the Black Dahlia Murder used ENGL Powerball? I think for the lead guitarist and the rhythm guitarist had a Peavey 5150.

They used Kranks on Miasma. Imo the Nocturnal tone was far better.
haha, thanks for the kind words Dave and Dave.

yeah, it really comes down to preference, I really like my Krankenstein+. They are priced decent in the states, especially used. Across the pond, they are probably overpriced. I know Mesa are ridiculously priced there, just like the price of a 30W Orange over here is outrageous for what it is. Their support is excellent though, and they are made with high quality parts. After comparing the insides after owning both, the Kranks were built with superior parts. That really has nothing to do with the sound though, it's whatever you like, and I don't hear any reliability issues with the ENGL's other than the older model bulbs turning white. I had a problem with my impedance selector on my head, as it was one of the first + series out of their shop. I didn't notice it until I switched cabs. Krank paid for the amp to be picked up by UPS, fixed it the same day it got there, and sent it back out that same day.

I think the biggest thing with their amps, is people not knowing how to dial them in. It's a deceivingly simple looking EQ, but the sweep is a powerful control. They can sound like a giant bag of ass if that control is dialed wrong for how the rest of the EQ is set.

edit: oh yeah, and they have a lifetime warranty, which isn't that common at all in the pricerange. I know ENGL doesn't offer that, or Orange, or Mesa, or marshall, etc...
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Oct 13, 2008,
^Giant bag of ass, that's totally priceless.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Giant bag of ass, that's totally priceless.

hehe, and I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing ENGL at all, I really like those amps too. I dug my Blackmore quite a bit. I'm still waiting for Dave to get sick of his Savage SE, but it's taking quite a while.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I don't know, but when I seen Amon Amarth they were using Krank.
The 'Damageplan-New Found Power' album wasn't recorded with Krank either, so you can only really base Dimes Krank tone off of there live playing.
Quote by Erock503
haha, thanks for the kind words Dave and Dave.

yeah, it really comes down to preference, I really like my Krankenstein+. They are priced decent in the states, especially used. Across the pond, they are probably overpriced. I know Mesa are ridiculously priced there, just like the price of a 30W Orange over here is outrageous for what it is. Their support is excellent though, and they are made with high quality parts. After comparing the insides after owning both, the Kranks were built with superior parts. That really has nothing to do with the sound though, it's whatever you like, and I don't hear any reliability issues with the ENGL's other than the older model bulbs turning white. I had a problem with my impedance selector on my head, as it was one of the first + series out of their shop. I didn't notice it until I switched cabs. Krank paid for the amp to be picked up by UPS, fixed it the same day it got there, and sent it back out that same day.

I think the biggest thing with their amps, is people not knowing how to dial them in. It's a deceivingly simple looking EQ, but the sweep is a powerful control. They can sound like a giant bag of ass if that control is dialed wrong for how the rest of the EQ is set.

edit: oh yeah, and they have a lifetime warranty, which isn't that common at all in the pricerange. I know ENGL doesn't offer that, or Orange, or Mesa, or marshall, etc...

i definitely noticed quite a big difference with the sweep knob, you're right there. my main concern was the price tag over here (which obviously doesn't apply in the states, much like mesa etc.); you could get an engl savage here for the same/similar price to those kranks which is more versatile, plus i prefer the engl metal tone too. Or a blackmore was about half the price of a krank. though the price of engls here has increased recently, with the falling pound. But certainly around the time I tried the kranks, it was no contest, for me anyway, at european prices.

Quote by Erock503
hehe, and I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing ENGL at all, I really like those amps too. I dug my Blackmore quite a bit. I'm still waiting for Dave to get sick of his Savage SE, but it's taking quite a while.

haha, you'll be waiting a while...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Highwaytohell
People who use ENGL

Ritchie Blackmore
Steve Morse
Marty Friedman
Phil Campbell

I always have to put Scott Gorham in there too....
Is it going to be next to impossible to get an ENGL fixed in the States, or will be it somewhat easy if they ever do need some work?
Quote by Lucky7s
Is it going to be next to impossible to get an ENGL fixed in the States, or will be it somewhat easy if they ever do need some work?
You would probably have to take it to a tech. I'd imagine the warranty would take a very long time to work out.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS