i think there's 6.... like

clean
slightly overdrive (blues type stuff)
ac/dc type stuff (rock)
harder rock stuff (nirvana guns and roses)
judas priest stuff (early metal)
than the highest you can go is black metal death metal grind core
there is an infinite amount of levels
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Only I posess the power of the 7th level of distortion.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
the best is when there's so much gain its just static, no notes, it really makes your guitar stand out
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
There is unlimited divisions. But it's mainly:

Clean
Dirty clean
Crunch
Light overdrive (this is when you can start palm-muting)
Medium overdrive
High overdrive (this is most metal these days. though of course it varies)
Death/Black metal (these guys will have like 3 distortion pedals in a row, all full on)

That's how I divide it. But I tend to just say "clean" "dirty" "distorted" "more distorted"

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

There's more than just levels of gain. EQing plays a huge role, not to mention the tonal characteristics of the guitars and amps. Gain is a very small part of it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by m4l666
There is unlimited divisions. But it's mainly:

Clean
Dirty clean
Crunch
Light overdrive (this is when you can start palm-muting)
Medium overdrive
High overdrive (this is most metal these days. though of course it varies)
Death/Black metal (these guys will have like 3 distortion pedals in a row, all full on)

That's how I divide it. But I tend to just say "clean" "dirty" "distorted" "more distorted"

I do ramble, don't I?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Every band uses a different level. I think you're asking how many levels of "heavy" there are. Overdrive and distortion are not the only two effects that affect a guitar's "heaviness" in tone. For example, put your gain on 7 with your mids on 6 and compare it with your gain on 7 with your mids at 3,. Big difference huh? Scooping your mids is common in "heavier" music.

Basically, there are billions of different combinations of tone.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
You could have hundreds of dirt pedals and that still wouldn't cover it.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
There are unlimited levels but it gets to a point where it's just feedback and noise where it's clipped
For me there are only 2 levels:
Clean
Ub3r-Br00t4lz
ohai little sig.
....pointless?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
all the way up to 11 I say
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
i think it's a continuum...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pick a pedal, or an amp...doesn't matter which. It'll have a few knobs each of which is on a rotary potentiomenter. Now, even if you approach this practically and say for argument's sake that the minimum amount of motion for a noticeable change in sound is 1 degree that's about 320 "levels" of distortion from one control on one thing. So for a typical 3 knob pedal thats 320*320*320 which is 32 768 000 "levels" from a single pedal. If you then consider the volume pot on the guitar, + minimal amp controls of bass, middle, treble, gain and volume then we're currently up to 3.51843721 × 10 to the power 22 distinct tones from a single amp, guitar and pedal....
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What's good is there knowing 'bout this? Just play the damn thing and be happy.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by steven seagull
Pick a pedal, or an amp...doesn't matter which. It'll have a few knobs each of which is on a rotary potentiomenter. Now, even if you approach this practically and say for argument's sake that the minimum amount of motion for a noticeable change in sound is 1 degree that's about 320 "levels" of distortion from one control on one thing. So for a typical 3 knob pedal thats 320*320*320 which is 32 768 000 "levels" from a single pedal. If you then consider the volume pot on the guitar, + minimal amp controls of bass, middle, treble, gain and volume then we're currently up to 3.51843721 × 10 to the power 22 distinct tones from a single amp, guitar and pedal....

Quote by \Powerslave/
Over 9000 levels.

Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his distortion level?

IT'S OVER NINE THOUUUSANNNDDDD!!!
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by steven seagull

dam you and your mathematics
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by \Powerslave/
Over 9000 levels.

WHAT? NINE THOUSAND!!!!?
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
The levels of gain are limitless. EQ is very important as well. I find medium gain on a high gain source to sound best than truely high gain. Too much gain and it becomes just noise. EQ is really important.