my math professor is a douchenozzle and doesnt know how to count, long story short, she sucks at teaching. so i need help with this homework shit and nobody to help, so what is the derivative of f(x)=cos(3x)sin(2x)
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
I'm a little rusty on my calculus...

f ' ( x ) = - 3 sin ( 3 x ) sin ( 2 x ) + 2 cos ( 3 x ) cos ( 2 x )

EDIT : In all fairness, vintage said it first
Last edited by NoBC14 at Oct 12, 2008,
dont call me a douchenozzle...you see me after class!
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
okayyy product rule!
U = cos(3x)
U' = -3sin(3x)
V = sin(2x)
V' = 2cos(2x)

so, since f'(x) = u'v + uv'
f'(x) = -3sin(3x)sin(2x) + 2cos(3x)cos(2x)
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Well first work out the cos of 3 X x. Then the sin of 2 X x. Then times them together.

Voila.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by vintage x metal
okayyy product rule!
U = cos(3x)
U' = -3sin(3x)
V = sin(2x)
V' = 2cos(2x)

+1
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by vintage x metal
okayyy product rule!
U = cos(3x)
U' = -3sin(3x)
V = sin(2x)
V' = 2cos(2x)

ya i understand all that, but i dont see where you got the 3 and 2 coefficients in the u' and v', unless it is some trick i havent learned yet or there is some other double angle function i am forgetting.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax

Quote by srvflood
Last edited by shadowsoldier08 at Oct 12, 2008,
you have to take the derivative of the 2x and 3x inside the sin/cos functions
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by shadowsoldier08
ya i understand all that, but i dont see where you got the 3 and 2 coefficients in the u' and v', unless it is some trick i havent learned yet or there is some other double angle function i am forgetting.

It's the Chain Rule

y = f ( g ( x ) )

y ' = f ' (g ( x ) ) * g '

( * - multiplied by... )
Last edited by NoBC14 at Oct 12, 2008,
ahhhhh nvm, i tried to combine the (3x) and (2x) sin/cos and i got like sin^2(6x) or someting, cuz i never can tell when im done reducing or not

thx very much
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax

Quote by srvflood
Quote by shadowsoldier08

Nah, it's the chain rule. Chain rule specifies that not only do you do the derivative of the entire trig function, but also the expression inside of the parentheses. For instance:
f(x) = sin(x^2)
f'(x) = cos(x^2)[the derivative of the trig expression] * 2x[the derivative of the expression inside of the parentheses)
ultimately giving you:
f'(x) = 2xcos(x^2)
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I'm a freshman in Geometry Honors and my brain just busted.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Sorry for the sh!tty contribution but i just wanna say i wish i knew how to do all this stuff!! It looks so confusing/interesting and i suck at maths so i guess its never gunna happen...
Quote by EEE_ELLL_OHH
Sorry for the sh!tty contribution but i just wanna say i wish i knew how to do all this stuff!! It looks so confusing/interesting and i suck at maths so i guess its never gunna happen...

Calculus is a hell of a lot of fun and not difficult at all; it just takes some getting used to.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by shadowsoldier08
doesnt know how to count

so what is the derivative of f(x)=cos(3x)sin(2x)

SHE doesn't know how to count, and YOU'RE asking for advice on a forum
Dont worry, I took advanced calculus I and II in high school as a senior. Only about 30 people out of my school of 2000 students take those classes a year.

What I'm saying is, you'll catch up if math is your thing.

And like Vintage X Metal said, Calculus isnt that hard, it just requires a different way of thinking.
yeah i agree, and pardon me in case of flaming, but i dont see hwo the hell calc is going to help me if i plan to be a something like a pharmacist, unless i just havnt had the class long enough to understand its full 'use'
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax

Quote by srvflood
Quote by Freddedonna
SHE doesn't know how to count, and YOU'RE asking for advice on a forum

HE was exaggerating, and YOU'RE a dickhead.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by shadowsoldier08
yeah i agree, and pardon me in case of flaming, but i dont see hwo the hell calc is going to help me if i plan to be a something like a pharmacist, unless i just havnt had the class long enough to understand its full 'use'

You can apply calculus to pretty much anything you want to. I dont know anything about being a pharmacist, but I'm sure it could have its applications, even if they are vague and somewhat pointless.
Quote by shadowsoldier08

I dunno about you, but to be able to find an actual answer to something in a world with so many open loops is, in itself, satisfying.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja