A thread for all of us Upright Players.

Post your Uprights, and talk about playing upright bass!
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
good idea!
I play upright in music lessons at school, tis awesome fun
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I played for grade 7 and 8 and it wasn't that great...
Only good thing is it's loudest in the class of violins,violas and cells
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Is an upright bass just the same thing as a double bass?
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
^yaya

@black-sabbath: Is it really? I find them really quiet
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Upright bassists are damn hard to find. Some of my friends and I want to start a bluegrass band but we cant find an upright bass player anywhere.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by deathbyawesome
Upright bassists are damn hard to find. Some of my friends and I want to start a bluegrass band but we cant find an upright bass player anywhere.

Do you know any accomplished jazz musicians? If so, ask them. They are bound to know loads.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by nic2991
I play upright in a dixie band

Same here. I can't actually afford one, but our county has a sweet rental scheme for expensive instruments when you're in school, so I get one for about £5/6 per term. Its a sweet deal.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Fact: I suck at upright bass. Especially with a bow.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
edit* I played for 6 years throughout secondary school, and was decent enough to go to highschool honor orchestras, state music contests and the like. Playing in the chamber orchestra was my favorite extracaricular activity by far. I'm afraid my sight reading, intonation, and overall playing skills are probably terrible now though.

I haven't played upright in 5 years now, I'd like to start again after Christmas as there's a new low-string profesor at the college where I work and he seemed willing to do lessons even though I'm not a music student (there are like 4 low string students in the university of 6000--and a few of them don't play strings as their primary).

I've tried wading through google and gotten frustrated; could anyone provide me links to a good guide for picking out a decent student bass? Hopefully I can find something used for under $2000 us.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Oct 12, 2008,
Check Craigslist. I have seen some great deals on student basses (not plywood) under 1500 USD.

Good idea for a thead Epy!

I am hoping to get some upright lessons come January, but I am a ways away from owning one at this point.
I've played upright very poorly for about a year and a half now and got lessons through last year that were pointless and improved nothing. So if I had one tip: learn the basics from a good teacher, if nothing else.

All in all though, I'm not going to lie, the upright is just so useless outside of a classical area, that I have no motivation to learn it.
i play upright in jazz band but im not the best at it yet but im good for learning without a teacher and for playing electric bass for so long. but i dont know how to use a bow.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
I played one for a few weeks at school, but it was not my kinda thing.

*leaves thread*
You stole my Overture
Well I've played upright bass for a while, Just purchased my first one though, had been renting them off and on for a while. Picture of it shown here:

It's a lot different than the electric bass thats for sure. I have noticed though that after playing straight upright for gigs and then going back to electric for some songs, your mobility on the electric bass increases dramatically. maybe thats just me i dunno but i find the electric bass strings just feel like guitar strings after a long session of upright playing. anyways i play in a local folk/alternative/rock band called inlimbo doing originals and covers of bands like Okkerville River and Wilco. Mediocre with playing jazz stuff...can't memorize the chord changes lol. Also mediocre with classical but i am trying to get as much out of it as possible. If any electric bass players are thinking about it, do it already.
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I like those NS Design things. they sound better than real uprights, imo. more portable too. bit that's just me. and I will add this- them uprights look a lot cooler.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^wow, that's beautiful.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Epy, is that a cedar topped bass?

Anyway, if and when my fatass guitar player buys my Strat off me, I plan on buying either a) an NS Designs WAV4 and a vacation, or b) this used Streamer Stage II if I can get it for $2000 to officially own the best bass on UG.

I figured I'd like to hear what the upright folks have to say. I desparately want to be called a 'doubler,' but at the same time I really don't see the upright leaving my basement beyond one or two studio visits. The Streamer, on the other hand, can be used as my Jazz could be.

But, then again, this is assuming the Streamer is still around when I get the money, and that I can haggle it down to that price.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz

Anyway, if and when my fatass guitar player buys my Strat off me, I plan on buying either a) an NS Designs WAV4 and a vacation, or b) this used Streamer Stage II if I can get it for $2000 to officially own the best bass on UG.

I figured I'd like to hear what the upright folks have to say. I desparately want to be called a 'doubler,' but at the same time I really don't see the upright leaving my basement beyond one or two studio visits. The Streamer, on the other hand, can be used as my Jazz could be.

But, then again, this is assuming the Streamer is still around when I get the money, and that I can haggle it down to that price.

first off, at your choice of adjective for the guitarist

second... I hate to say no to a Warwick, but given you may have trouble getting it don that low, and the Wav4 is pretty unique. also, vacations rock. so does going and buying a billion pedals.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Man, it's so true.

After playing on upright for a good 20 mins and then going back to electric, I absolutely MURDER.

My fingers are so fast, and the electric bass seems like a toy compared to the upright.
Just got my music teacher's upright fixed up, and I hope to buy it off him for cheap, considering it's condition isn't great.

So far, I found the intonation isn't the worst, but I need a lot of practice before I can just pull of anything solid. MY ear already recognizes the notes fairly well, so it's a bonus.

I use octaves of the open strings, and octaves in general, as well as fifths and harmonics to figure out the intonation on it. So far it's worked for me, but I figure I still need a teacher. Plus I have to learn bow, and while I can create notes, it's not as good as it could be.

But, upright kicks ass. Awesome for jazz and classical. Even rock is interesting, although I'd shy away from using it in such a way. Most schools require you play upright for their programs, so that's my main motication. That, and I want to e so badass.
Quote by thefitz

I will hate you forever if you get a Streamer Stage II.

FOREVER.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by thefitz

Listening to the kind of music you generally play and listen to, an upright seems completely pointless. Especially an electric one, which come dangerously close to being a bass guitar. That's just my view of it. I think it's a waste of money to buy something that much for very little use outside of your own pleasure. The Streamer would probably serve you far better and for longer.
Yeah, that seems to be the concensus from most of my friends. However, I have this killer, killer simple arco part for one song. But really, that's about it. We shall see!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz

Its a spruce top with maple sides and back. Absolutely gorgeous. Huge tone and volume. Got it with a double twin K&K pickup with is also great.

Despite what others have said, i think you'd really enjoy having a NS upright. No it doesn't sound like an upright (or better than an upright ) but you may still enjoy playing it as something different, which it is.
I'd considered the Dean Pace Upright a normal fretless bass on a tripod in the vertical direction but the NS still has some of the feel of an upright. But if youd get more use out of the streamer then id do that for sure.
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I've played upright for about 4 years now, and I love it alot. I own a NS design CR5M upright, which I've played in concerts across Canada, and in a jazz festival in New York City with a jazz choir I play for. I play classical, swing, big band swing, dixie, among many other styles. But I'm still dominantly a electric bassist - I love my upright
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I've played upright very poorly for about a year and a half now and got lessons through last year that were pointless and improved nothing. So if I had one tip: learn the basics from a good teacher, if nothing else.

All in all though, I'm not going to lie, the upright is just so useless outside of a classical area, that I have no motivation to learn it.

Absolutely wrong, every single audition i have ever had (school jazzband, state jazz band, district jazz band, grammy award jazz band) have ALWAYS highly recommended you also know how to play upright bass. The more experience you have with the instrument, you will always have a MUCH greater chance of getting a jazz or old school blues gig that somebody who doesnt know how to play. Also, in order to get into a prestigious music school (im looking at you, Berklee!) they always recommend you learn the upright.

Useless? Not even close.
Quote by Trabo
Absolutely wrong, every single audition i have ever had (school jazzband, state jazz band, district jazz band, grammy award jazz band) have ALWAYS highly recommended you also know how to play upright bass. The more experience you have with the instrument, you will always have a MUCH greater chance of getting a jazz or old school blues gig that somebody who doesnt know how to play. Also, in order to get into a prestigious music school (im looking at you, Berklee!) they always recommend you learn the upright.

Useless? Not even close.

Did I say it wasn't necessary or expected or encouraged or needed? No. I said it was useless, which I still stand by.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Did I say it wasn't necessary or expected or encouraged or needed? No. I said it was useless, which I still stand by.

Your wrong there also, especially when it comes to arco. How can such a beautiful characteristical sound be catagorized as useless when it is used so frequently? Not to mention the fact that it has a completely different tone then the electric, one which can not be equaled. Those are 2 solid reasons for owning a upright, not counting the fact that it is necessary, expected, encouraged, and needed.
I guess I think of it as pro/con. Do you have those niche places for an upright bass? Yeah, you do. But when you weigh that with one tone in such an unwieldy instrument to play, as well as the fact it's a pain in the butt to store, transport, gig/practise with and then everything in reverse, it kind of loses it's appeal. Are there spots for it? Yeah, I guess and those spots really need it, (classical) but a lot of people use it because it's an upright. I play in a jazz band and I see no purpose for a double in that situation, other than minding tradition (which is a whole other bag of worms with the idiocy of jazz music that you do not want me to get into) or the very rare time when that arco sound is NEEDED. Which I'd be pleased to sacrifice to only need one, easy to carry bass and amp instead of two of everything.

In the end, the upright is so very inconvenient, with so few uses that an electric can't cop that it's become useless outside of a classical area.
I completely disagree with you jazz. but i don't care to argue, neither of our opinions matter so to each is own i guess. for whoever isnt sour to the upright, here is a picture of my new upright. straight out of the box it's playable with a nice medium setup and the pickup/preamp set is amazing for on stage purpose.

w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Jazz_Rock_Feel, you don't usually come off as a jerk but...

I like the upright, very smooth looking.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^Aww, you're boring. Nice upright though. Anyone can appreciate that wood's colour tone. You seem pretty pleased with it too... pause NOT! Wow, that movie is old.

yea lol. i thought i was smiling for the picture. guess not.
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by Victory2134
Jazz_Rock_Feel, you don't usually come off as a jerk but...

I like the upright, very smooth looking.

The matching headstock makes it.

And I saw a 1966 Kay on craigslist for $1800...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
The matching headstock makes it.

And I saw a 1966 Kay on craigslist for $1800...

I don't have that much money...

and for $1800 I could get a brand new musicman bongo HH.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you