I'm writing a 1000 word paper on ''The Sorrows Of Young Werther'' by Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe.

I need to kick it off with a thesis statement concerning the ''theme''. I have several ideas but am not sure if they constitute as proper themes according to the technical definition...

Could any of you give me an example of a THEME in ANYTHING?

Danke, comrades!.
The theme of GOTHIC HORROR in FRANKENSTEIN.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Ed Hunter
The theme of GOTHIC HORROR in FRANKENSTEIN.

I would've gone with with technology, but just as well
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Please distinguish genre and theme.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
A theme is a general statement about society. It will be a complete sentence. Technology and Gothic Horror are not themes.
Theme =/= love
Love is a topic

Theme = what the author is saying about a topic (I.E. Love is cruel)
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Try the themes 'doomed to fail' in 'Of Mice and Men', or the themes 'racial discrimination' in the poem 'Nothings Changed by Tutumkhalu Afrika.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
The story for those who don't know; is about a young and passionate artist who moves to the mountainside of Germany to draw. While there he falls in love with a young lady who is already engaged to another man

Long story short is that he kills himself over it.

I've noticed that he makes many MANY references to mother nature (that is the nature of the land as well as one self). And that the weather outdoors usually reflects how he is feeling (coincidence? NAY!!!).

So I'm trying to maybe convey the stormy and fluxuating weather of the mother nature as a mirror to the stormy and fluxuating nature of the passionate human heart.

Does this work as a theme ? Or am I simply trying to pass off ''Symbolism'' as a theme ?
Ohh I heard the theme of that book in literature class! I hated literature class so I didn't pay much attention. I remember the teacher was telling about the book, and that at the time it came out people who read it got depressed by the book and even killed themselves because of the sorrows Werther had to go through. Kinda sick actually. I totally forgot about the theme though, sorry.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Quote by Rising
The story for those who don't know; is about a young and passionate artist who moves to the mountainside of Germany to draw. While there he falls in love with a young lady who is already engaged to another man

I've noticed that he makes many MANY references to mother nature (that is the nature of the land as well as one self). And that the weather outdoors usually reflects how he is feeling (coincidence? NAY!!!).

So I'm trying to maybe convey the stormy and fluxuating weather of the mother nature as a mirror to the stormy and fluxuating nature of the passionate human heart.

Does this work as a theme ? Or am I simply trying to pass off ''Symbolism'' as a theme ?
yes thats just symbolism

theme would be something like "The search for knwoledge is a perilous one"

or "Ignorance is bliss"
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by Rising

That's pathetic fallacy, which is a symbolic literary device. But I've not read the book, so I can't say whether there's enough mention of weather to make it somehow worth mentioning in connection with a theme.
Quote by SmarterChild
That's pathetic fallacy, which is a symbolic literary device. But I've not read the book, so I can't say whether there's enough mention of weather to make it somehow worth mentioning in connection with a theme.

So how about...

The author is trying to say that the passionate/infatuated heart is irrational/in-flux with society.

I wouldn't use ''/'' so often, I'm just a little undecisive on what words to use.