ok i was at guitar center picking up random things and trying out the basses and i tried three diffrent basses each for around 5-10min the three were a traben array attack, shecter stilleto custom 5, and music man sterling
they were all played through a acoustic b100
at of the traben was cheapest and i enjoyed it the most but my real question is how much diffrent is the sterling to the stingray becausei really disliked the sterling and i dont see much diffrent then the stingray which i see regarded highly around here
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
The Sterling is to a Stingray what a Jazz bass is to a P bass.

The Sterling has a more "Jazz bass-esque" neck and a smaller body.

They also have slightly different electronics (pup selector on Sterling)

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
The Sterling is to a Stingray what a Jazz bass is to a P bass.

The Sterling has a more "Jazz bass-esque" neck and a smaller body.

They also have slightly different electronics (pup selector on Sterling)

But they still sound incredibly similar. Same pickups, and the only electronics differences are on the controls, not the brand of electronics (so their tonal properties).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
well i didnt get the chance to try the sting ray and i think that the eq not set up properly may have been the problem because the amp gave a very good pop and slap tone which was not what i was looking for in the musicman type but worked great with the traben
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
well i didnt get the chance to try the sting ray and i think that the eq not set up properly may have been the problem because the amp gave a very good pop and slap tone which was not what i was looking for in the musicman type but worked great with the traben

wat?

If I understand correctly you didn't expect good slap tone from a musicman, this seems impossible
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
wat?

If I understand correctly you didn't expect good slap tone from a musicman, this seems impossible

no i was saying i wasnt looking for the slap tone i was looking for something that could handel metal or things around that genre, something with a growl and the equalizer wasnt set to give me that im not saying its a bad bass it just wasnt what i expected
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Traben makes great basses, I've never played one I was disappointed in.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Traben makes great basses, I've never played one I was disappointed in.

ya i dont know what about it made it so great but i loved it. it was light had great tone and cheap
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
traben does sound better for metal, especially when you start throwing a billion effects on it. everything else though... I much prefer me a sterling. great bass. and it punches without having to growl, part of it's appeal. if you want a growl, get a jazz... or maybe even a Traben...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by alternitivebass
no i was saying i wasnt looking for the slap tone i was looking for something that could handel metal or things around that genre, something with a growl and the equalizer wasnt set to give me that im not saying its a bad bass it just wasnt what i expected

You think a musicman doesn't have growl? o.O
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
You think a musicman doesn't have growl? o.O

it has punch, and a different sort of growl if you mess with it a little. but it is not expressly a growly bass that can punch, like a jazz, it is a punchy bass that can growl. he prefers a more aggressive, single coily sound. also, that humbucker appears to be closer to the bridge... forcing it to growl more. so I think this Traben actually would growl more. sound better? by my call, probably not to me, or you. but a-bass here is not like you and me, he wants to sound like his bass is gonna go kill some fuzzy bunnies.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I am now totally lost on the terms; slap-tone, growl, punch, and aggressive-ness.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I am now totally lost on the terms; slap-tone, growl, punch, and aggressive-ness.

slap tone- depends on the person, usually not overtly bright or growly
growl- when the tone noticeably spikes in volume and often in some of the punchier frequencies, letting it cut through the mix better
punch- when the basses immediate sound breaks through the mix, a more broad term than growl.
aggressive-ness- a term interchangeable for any tone. I have heard it used to describe about every bass I've heard.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard