Poll: Which is more important?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is more important?
Being able to read sheet music well
4 11%
Having good pitch perception
31 89%
Voters: 35.
Some of my friends and I were talkin about which is more important...

Being able to read sheet music well or a good ear.

Opinions?
Ear. How else are you going to know what sounds good?
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
if you have a great ear than you don't really need sheet music right????
Fender 70s series Stratocaster
Vox V847A wah
Boss BF-3
Ibanez TS-9DX
I think a good ear is more important for my own situation because I never have sheet music in front of me. (so it's kinda by default.) I can still read music though :P

I think that both are very important though. A good ear will help out your playing a lot and being able to read music is important when working with other musicians.

Quote by EpiHummingbird
I don't get how that works?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I definitely go for the ear
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
That's like comparing apples and a cat. Those are two completely different skills with two completely different uses.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Ear, no contest
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
they are both important,tho if you have one and not the other,you can still do well.
it obviously helps if you have both.

pitch perception helps for things like learning songs by ear and having ppl inscribe tabs onto sites such as these lol

and reading sheet music helps for things like bands where its not that important to be able to throw fills in and actually follow along with the band.

so in my opinion,they are both equally important.

so i cant vote for neither.
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
if you don't have sheet music, you won't have a frame of reference for the pitches being played, no matter how good your ears are.
Quote by the_wiz
if you don't have sheet music, you won't have a frame of reference for the pitches being played, no matter how good your ears are.

What "frame of reference"? It's entirely possible to identify notes, chords, or scales by ear.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by shdowfox17
so in my opinion,they are both equally important.

so i cant vote for neither.

I recognize that they are both very important, but if i made "both" a choice it would kinda defeat my question.
ehh,in that case ill go with ear,but only because not everyone plans to play in a 'big band' type of setting.
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
Quote by melton100
I recognize that they are both very important, but if i made "both" a choice it would kinda defeat my question.

In which case your question is flawed.

Unless you, you know, want to communicate with other musicians on even a basic level, study music written for other instruments, or notate your own music.

Alright, you violins over there...play...play this note right here. It's like...the fifth fret on this string
Both are important, but the ear is more important to a guitarist. Few of us will find ourselves in a position where great sight reading skills are necessary, but having a good ear is vital.

That said, learn both.
It depends entirely on context. An ensemble musician, who must be able to play on sight any piece of music, obviously will need to be able to read, on the other hand, a musician who plays in a bar every other night and takes requests; well an ear would be far more important to him.
Both are important, but for me personally, ear wins - because this is directly linked to how much I enjoy the instrument, and music in general. But not being able to read at least the note placement from sheet music would suck.
Quote by Archeo Avis
In which case your question is flawed.

Unless you, you know, want to communicate with other musicians on even a basic level, study music written for other instruments, or notate your own music.

Alright, you violins over there...play...play this note right here. It's like...the fifth fret on this string

Or you can say, play a C1.
Or you can say, play a C1.

That's brilliant. If only there were some method of communicating things like that to other musicians. Perhaps some sort of visual media that would use various symbols to communicate things like note values and beat length. Conceivably, entire pieces of music would be described using this system.

*rushes off to patent office*
Quote by Archeo Avis
That's brilliant. If only there were some method of communicating things like that to other musicians. Perhaps some sort of visual media that would use various symbols to communicate things like note values and beat length. Conceivably, entire pieces of music would be described using this system.

*rushes off to patent office*

“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by melton100
Some of my friends and I were talkin about which is more important...

Being able to read sheet music well or a good ear.

Opinions?

Important for what ?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by melton100
just more important in general. No specific situations, just in general.

That's ridiculous. They are two completely different skills, with completely different purposes. You can't compare them "in general".
I know people that play very well with notated music, but as soon as you take the sheet music away....they can't play a note. I have never really understood that! I would agree that the two are very different skills and suited for different situations, but If I had to lose one of those skills, I would definitely keep my ear!

C-ya,
Chad
Quote by ClassAxe
but If I had to lose one of those skills, I would definitely keep my ear!
I think that's reasonable. If all you can do is read music, you're screwed if you lose your vision, but someone who plays by ear could still play. On the other hand, if you lose your hearing, you're screwed either way.

Again, learn both.
Both are important. Depends for what your musical activity consists of. If you play in an orchestra or something, obviously sight reading is important. I believe every teacher should aslo have the ability to sight read well.

But a good ear always comes in handy.
Quote by SilverDark
Ear. How else are you going to know what sounds good?

This.

What if you could read sheet music, but you didn't know you were out of tune because you couldn't tell? It would end very badly. A good ear is a HUGE plus.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
I have been trained in both methods and I have found that reading music uses your brain primarily, to play the notes written. Playing by ear allows you to play from the soul which translates emotion into the music. They're both useful in their own rights, but I would say playing by ear trumps reading music...depending of course on the situation you're in.
Quote by melton100
just more important in general. No specific situations, just in general.

Ears then...its an aural art.
shred is gaudy music
Without reading the rest of the thread, I'll just throw in this: The time you spend learning to read music will definitely develop your ears.
Quote by Don Rickles
Without reading the rest of the thread, I'll just throw in this: The time you spend learning to read music will definitely develop your ears.

I've never thought of that... You're right though. My ears have gotten better since I first started tryin to play keyboard and read sheet music.
Playing by ear allows you to play from the soul which translates emotion into the music

...what?
Im just pointing out there is an answer to the topic starters question, i think a good ear in music is more important (in general) than being able to read sheet music.

Atleast in terms of playing guitar.

its not that ridiculous of a question, if hes confusing sheet music with music theory. Then its an entire different deal
ear all the way..thats how people before us learned and they became great....you can write your own stuff and learn quicker with the ear...and you have better luck with improvising by knowing the tones
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon