I'm trying to learn all the notes and scales on a guitar (Standard tuning) so I can become a much better musician.

However, all my idols (SRV, Hendrix, Van Halen) all play on guitars tuned down a half step.

Because I want to include theory (notes, scales, etc.) into my playing, would it be wise to tune down my guitar and learn the notes that way (ie. Low E on Fret 1 instead of Open, Low F on Fret 2 instead of Fret 1, etc.) or learn the notes to standard and just tune down anyway?

I guess the main reason for concern is trying to identify pitch. If I learn what an E sounds like, and play it on a lowered half-step guitar, it's really D# if played in the same position. That will throw off my ability to sense pitch.

I'm thoroughly confused. Please help
This is simple transposition. Aslong as all strings are equally 1 step down then all scales and chord shapes will be the same just 1 step lower.

EDIT: doesnt sound like you have been playing for all that long so I wouldnt worry about knowing everything at once. Just stay at your own pace and try to learn standard tunings before lower ones. Honestly if you know your way around strandard tuning, E flat tuning will not be a big thing for you.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Oct 12, 2008,
You probably won't be able to 'sense pitch'. The ability to do that, usually referred to as 'perfect pitch' is something very few people have. Most people can practice it all they want but they'll never learn it. You have to be born with a certain 'gift' for it, and practice it a lot as well.

In regard to your question: I'd suggest that you'd just learn the notes in standard E tuning. When you jam with people and all of you turn your instrument a half step down you can still call the note an 'E' in your head even though it's actually an Eb if you compare it to concert pitch.

E: don't confuse with perfect pitch with relative pitch, 'cause that's something that can be learned.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by Slanderous666
This is simple transposition. Aslong as all strings are equally 1/2 step down then all scales and chord shapes will be the same just 1/2 step lower.

^^ Corrected for clarity.

Basically TS, if you learn everything in standard tuning, all you have to do is lower it a half step in 1/2 step down.

Basically the A minor pentatonic scale in standard tuning (5th fret on the high and low E) would become the Ab Minor Pentatonic scale (same frets). To get back to the A minor pentatonic in Eb tuning (1/2 step down), you'd have to start with the 6th fret on the E strings.

It's really a lot easier than you're making it out to be
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
Quote by gardon
Awesome, thanks dude.

No problem, Happy jammin and Dardarian knows what hes talking about.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni