Hi. I've been playing guitar for a number of years, but I've always wanted to learn some piano too. However, since I'm moving to college in less than a year, it isn't practical for me to get anything large. So I have to settle for a keyboard for now. But because of budget, I have to look at cheaper keyboard at the moment. I'm fine with that, except all of them seem to have less than the regular 88-keys on them. At the moment I'm looking at the Yamaha PSR E313, which has only 61 keys. If I were to start playing on that, with the intention of moving to piano or an 88-key keyboard in the future, will the change in number of keys be difficult to get used to? Or should I be looking for an 88 key keyboard to begin with?
It just limits the range of notes you have. if you think you'll need to hit notes higher/lower than those on a 61 key keyboard, get an 88 key one.
88 keys would be nice. But they're usually considerably mroe expensive than the 61. (if someone knows of a cheap one tell me) I don't use the keys that are missing from a 61 very often, but i use them enough that when I switch from a real piano to my key board I get annoyed. If you're just learning, you shouldn't NEED 88 keys. But it would be nice.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
88 keys would be nice. But they're usually considerably mroe expensive than the 61. (if someone knows of a cheap one tell me) I don't use the keys that are missing from a 61 very often, but i use them enough that when I switch from a real piano to my key board I get annoyed. If you're just learning, you shouldn't NEED 88 keys. But it would be nice.

So if I started on 61 and went up to 88, I wouldn't suddenly be unable to find my place, or become lost in the new keys?
Not having 88 keys is a pain in the a$$ sometimes, especially if you're trying to learn a song that requires some of those lower keys you're missing. They aren't totally necessary though. I started playing with 61 keys and had no problem moving on to 88. Chances are the keyboard you're looking at has a transpose feature, so you could just move everything up or down an octave if you needed to.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RGA121
Vetta II HD
You'd be able to switch back and forth, as mostly your coordinated around middle C anyway. However, weighted keys are very important as it actually feels more like an actually piano and generally reads dynamics better.
you shouldn't be lost if you switch. The keys are the same size and distance apart, for me it's kind of like switching from violin to guitar. I go from having to find all my notes on 4 strings to having six. It's not exactly the same obviously. Two different styles of instrument. But still.

I'd just get an 88 if I could find it. and with weighted keys.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by hiphopopotamus
You'd be able to switch back and forth, as mostly your coordinated around middle C anyway. However, weighted keys are very important as it actually feels more like an actually piano and generally reads dynamics better.

Are there any keyboards for less than $200 that have weighted keys that you know of? Apparently the PSR E313 has dynamics, but not weighted keys.
I deduct from my advanced logic that an 88 key keyboard has more keys than a 61 key keyboard, while the 61 key keyboard is considerably smaller
Quote by ChromaZon
just get a 70odd i forget exactly how many

Seventy-six is the most common 70-odd key count. That was going to be my recommendation.

If I were on a 61-key keyboard, I would be missing the other 27 keys the entire time (especially the lower omitted keys), but 76 keys would be significantly more tolerable. Granted, I'd still be longing for a full keyboard.

Weighted keys are also very important to consider. Playing on synth-action drives me absolutely crazy.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
I think my school has a few of those casio ones or something just like it. They play pretty well. Not as well as a more expensive one, but hey. They sound pretty decent as well.

But I don't have any real experience with them.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
88 is 27 more.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
cheapest 88 i've seen was around 400
Interested in Japan? Join the Club. PM me or Kurt-Corgan.
Quote by PieceOfMind666

Haha, that was an epic pic battle. you are a worthy opponent

Quote by Artemis Entreri
I think my school has a few of those casio ones or something just like it. They play pretty well. Not as well as a more expensive one, but hey. They sound pretty decent as well.

But I don't have any real experience with them.

Thanks, reviews on Harmony Central seem to be positive enough as well. I'll try to find one for cheaper than regular.
i like 88 more...but id just as easily go for the 76 key...dont go lower

i have like a 30 something keyboard and its lame..im getting an 88 key next month
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
Well why don't you decide to learn key board instead with switchable octaves and pitch bend? I guess it depends what music you're into, keyboard has more tonal capabilities IMO. You could get an electric piano though.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible