so when i look around at amp threads a lot of people say "o get this amp and an OD pedal and ur set" or something like that so im wondering what do they do?

thanks
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
overdrives are used to get the most natural sounding overdrive out of a tube amp by simulating cranking the volume and pushing the tubes.

some people use them to give their already dirty amps extra gain for easier pinch harmonics, longer sustain and more meat on the notes (see: Zakk Wylde).
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
so do u use them on top of the lead channel or do u use em on the clean channel as a distortion pedal
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
so do u use them on top of the lead channel or do u use em on the clean channel as a distortion pedal

u use them for a boost so on the clean channel they will give you a little crunch for a slightly overdriven sound and on the lead channel they give you more gain.
mainly used with tube amps though.
Quote by sandman-105

Depends what you use them for.

If you want it to tighten up your amp's sound, add more natural overdrive to the distortion channel or boost your amp to cut through better at a solo, you obviously want to run it on the distortion channel.

If you want to add a little grit to your cleans, you want it on the clean channel.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
depends what you want. i love using it one a clean amp to push it into overdrive, but it preforms equally well when my amp is cranked for added sustain.

btw: i wouldn't worry about OD's yet. sell your spider and get a nice fender pro jr. 379.99
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
depends what you want. i love using it one a clean amp to push it into overdrive, but it preforms equally well when my amp is cranked for added sustain.

btw: i wouldn't worry about OD's yet. sell your spider and get a nice fender pro jr. 379.99

well im saving for a new tube amp (most likely a peavey 5150 combo look at sig) so i was just wondering
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
ah. nvrmnd then.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Basically, overdrive pedals are like distortion pedals - they just simulate lower levels of distortion. Sort of that bluesy sound, you know? Then someone noticed that you can use them as clean boosts - turn the gain to 0 and level way up, and you'll boost the signal without coloring it too much. This can be used on both the clean and distortion channels of an amp (usually tube amp, they respond better to boosting, although it works with some SS amps too), on the clean channel you get a little bit of grit while on the distortion channel the tone is tightened and there's some gain added.

I hope this clears something up
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Basically, overdrive pedals are like distortion pedals - they just simulate lower levels of distortion. Sort of that bluesy sound, you know? Then someone noticed that you can use them as clean boosts - turn the gain to 0 and level way up, and you'll boost the signal without coloring it too much. This can be used on both the clean and distortion channels of an amp (usually tube amp, they respond better to boosting, although it works with some SS amps too), on the clean channel you get a little bit of grit while on the distortion channel the tone is tightened and there's some gain added.

I hope this clears something up

Well said.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
isnt overdrive pedals just the same as distortion pedals or is there a slight difference?