and I think it would be great to pursue something music related.

I think teaching music would be a wonderful experience. I don't know if I would be able to though. It sounds like it would be very hard. I was reading about it here: http://www-afa.adm.ohio-state.edu/u-majors/pdf/mused.pdf

I don't know any of my other options. I know there's a plain music theory major but I don't know what I could do after that. http://www-afa.adm.ohio-state.edu/u-majors/pdf/musicth.pdf

Music is really the only thing I've loved. I don't waste my time on much else. You only live once and I'd like to say I atleast tried to make a living off the thing I love. I really need to know how to prepare for this because I don't know much theory and because there aren't teachers around here, I've been pretty screwed.

I know some of you guys have insight on this, like: PSM went to Berklee and Cor composes and such. Any help is appreciated
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Well, teaching music is good... if you love teaching, as well as music. It's a relatively stable job compared to a lot of other music-related jobs, though unfortunately many schools consider music to be one of the more expendable programs, and will look there to make cuts (at least, that's been what I've seen around here). Some of the younger teachers that I've seen are unsure of their status for the next year, which is not a very comfortable feeling, especially if you have a young family to take care of.

But, as I said earlier, it really depends on whether you love teaching. If so, you'll probably be able to deal with the fact that you'll have to deal with all the problems involved with large groups of young kids, since you'll also enjoy your job enough to make a difference in some of their lives. If you DON'T like teaching, you will still have to put up with large groups of young kids, and won't be willing to put as much effort in, your program suffers, and no one wins.

I don't know the program at Ohio state, but hopefully there is some way that you can assist a teacher (or teach) relatively early in your time at college... we have some programs in our city to teach under-privileged youths and all that, so ideally I think you should try to do something along those lines to get a feel for how you like teaching (it won't be the same as a school, but it's something). You won't like it ALL the time, but at least if you don't like it at all you'll be able to reassess your options before you get too far.

I'll try to stop myself before I type too much... but, you don't have a bad idea. Give it a try, see if it works
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Double mod answer for the win!

Teaching is definately something you want to get to grips with asap, it's very easy to think you'd like it and then find it a terrible chore, because the kinds of kids who become teachers and the kind of kids you'll be teaching are very different.

I think one thing you're forgetting is just how many jobs involve music.

For example, private instrumental tuition is something you can start right now, and quickly gain experience and insight into whether you want to teach for a living.

Then there's session musician, recording engineer, composer (many avenues here...), conductor, producer, manager, busker, rock star...

One thing I've found since coming down to Dublin is just how many avenues there are to making a living from what you love if you love music. I've lived next door to a composer, a piano teacher and I work for a guy who has gigged for a living, arranged classical music, and played bass in a major band. The things, however, that have seperated these people from the amateurs is -

How much they LOVE music.
How much they WORK at music.

You have to work really hard at being as good as you can, so you can make the most of every opportunity, and work really hard at finding opportunities so you can prove yourself and gain experience.

Thats my $0.02.
Thanks guys.

I guess I could try to see what teaching is like right now by goin to the local music shop and seeing if they need someone. I could also ask around school if someone wants lessons.

As for other jobs dealing with music, I don't know any. I couldn't be a composer because I can't really compose :P I don't know about recording at all and that type of stuff doesn't interest me, and I'm not a good guitar player so a session guitarist is out.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
It sounds to me that you are self-thought. Am I wrong?

I don't know how it is in the States, but over here there's no way you can teach academically without the proper degrees. And those are not easy to obtain. You have to study for a long while, be proficient in at least two instruments and pass a great deal of exams.

And when you succeed in all that and get hired in some music school, the pay is not great.

You might want to start taking some classes yourself. You could be a lot better than you give yourself credit for.
^I'm "UG taught" (other websites too but mainly MT). I tried to get guitar lessons but I knew more than the guy trying to teach me. If I could've gotten lessons instead of learning all this on my own, I so would have.

I know I have to get a degree to teach. There's this college here that has music education as a major (the first link in the original post).

Learning another instrument is probably a good idea. I hear piano is a must for college and I know nothing about it

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Great post, psychodelia!

I am a school teacher with a background in music. My undergrad is in classical guitar, and I have taught high school level music classes, high school level math, elementary rotary music (gr. 1-8, with 6-8 being instrumental), and grade five.

First off... teaching is not for everyone. If you are in it for the money and the holidays, IT WILL EAT YOU ALIVE!! YOU WILL HATE IT!! You can make way more money with a lot less hassle doing other things... though not necessarily music related. More on that in a bit. Get into a school and volunteer. Talk to the teacher, music or otherwise. Find out the rewards, but also the challenges. Make sure it is what you want before you become the most miserable person you know.

That said.... for the right person, it is a fantastic career. I love teaching grade five. I do NOT love teaching music. Go figure. As a music teacher, you are faced with more apathy and contempt for the subject than you would ever imagine, which is hard, because music is something you are passionate about. Your job... bridge that gap. I never had much success dealing with a room full of kids who sit back, do nothing, get failing grades despite phone calls to their parents, and they all lay back and say "who cares, it's only music."

It is different in high school. For the most part, it is an optional course. Therefore, the only people who are there are those that want to be, which is awesome. The down side is that it is among the first of the programs to face cuts, and jobs are hard to come by. The big teacher shortage is over. The doors are closed and locked up tight right now.... though they will open again - maybe just in time for you to be in the job market. The other downside is that it is up to you to sell your program to the rest of the school and to feeder schools to ensure that you'll have enough music courses to teach next year and won't wind up getting stuck teaching grade nine geography or something.

Part of finding whether teaching is for you is finding what age groups you like best. Little kids wear on my patience really quickly. Grade 5 is awesome because they're old enough to do interesting things with them, but haven't adopted the "I hate the world" attitude that some of them get as teens. If I was teaching music, I would do a lot better with high school kids for the reasons I posted above.

I teach elementary because that's where I got hired first. For me to jump over to secondary, I would lose all my seniority, which is not good when I have three kids and there are fears of layoffs every year in the current climate.

Generally, the pay and qualifications are about equal for elementary and secondary, but secondary school teachers get more prep time and less supervision time. Our local union is working on addressing that (and the fact that elementary students receive $711 less PER STUDENT in funding than secondary students...).

Once you've got a couple of years under your belt, you have as much job security as you will at pretty well any other job you could imagine, and it becomes easier, because you've done it before. The money also gets better as you get more experience. In Ontario, with full qualifications, you start at around $40 000 and your pay goes up about $2000 per year (more in years 11 and 12), so that after 12 years of teaching, you are up to about $85 000.

About the holidays... I know lots of people who get 8-12 weeks holidays who work in manufacturing, industry, etc. As nice as it is to have the weeks of holidays that you get, the downside is that you can't choose when to take them. Not everybody thinks about that.

As far as getting paid to do music... you don't get much chance in teaching to do YOUR music. Something else to consider....

I'm kinda rambling here... anything else you want to know about teaching... just ask.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
The only requirement for choosing what you want to do is that you love doing it.
Any other criteria, and you'll end up being sorry. If you just follow that, it will work
out for you. It might not be in the way you expect, but it will.

After college, I didn't have a clue. I thought I'd try lab work. I didn't like it. I thought
seriously about music at the time, but really I didn't have a clue about how to practice
back then, so it was just as well I didn't have high hopes for that. Eventually it dawned
on me I really liked computers and eventually landed a job. Eventually I got into
computer games. So I've pretty much had a dream job for a long time and have made
enough money I can do whatever I want now.

Follow what you enjoy and it will work out.