Well, the most common is a low B string, like a 7 string guitar. but I've heard you can find one with a higher B, also.

As for the bass, I'm unsure about the Dean, but the Squier's always a fairly good starting instrument. I like the one I have, though. It's also $200
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
I'd suggest trying to get an extra 50 and get this
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSR205-5-String-Bass-519525-i1150633.gc
It'd pay off in the long run to get that first, but if it has to be one of those to, I'd choose the Squier.

Standard 5 String tuning is BEADG

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
if your into rock, u might want to get a fender, ibenez, or carvin. they have great quality and im getting one of those for christmas
Quote by dancesisidance

Standard 5 String tuning is BEADG

So that's another string above the standard EADG gauge? And yeah, that Ibanez is better, thanks.
if your only spending that little i dont think its worth the extra string it will be lesser quality for the price its more to take care of (like chinging strings etc.) and strings cost more
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by emoboxer
So that's another string above the standard EADG gauge? And yeah, that Ibanez is better, thanks.

By above, do you mean pitch or placement? it's above the low e on the physical bass, but it's one string lower in pitch.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
Well, the most common is a low B string, like a 7 string guitar. but I've heard you can find one with a higher B, also.

As for the bass, I'm unsure about the Dean, but the Squier's always a fairly good starting instrument. I like the one I have, though. It's also $200

The 60s Fender 5 string had a C above the G string and not B; so as to make Bass riffs/runs more natural with all the string intervals being perfect 4ths, I tune my 6 string Bass E A D G C F.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
For the B in BEADG, should I just use the same gauge as the E but tuned lower? Or a heavier string?
One would buy five string sets which generally go 45-65-85-105-130/135.