The first exercise in my book is a chord progression. It goes A to D to E to A. Even if I take my time, I can't always get the D chord to sound right. I have trouble buzzing strings and it's always the middle or ring finger that is the culprit. It just feels unnatural no matter which way I move my hand. How do you change to this chord quickly and make it sound good?
hey, i had the same problem when i first started. it felt the most awkward of any of the chords.

i play it

2-middle
3-ring
2-index

if that is how you play it too...then itll be the same way we all learned. the answer everyone hates...practice and time.
Vai = God
even f?
but i play it weird

i bar the 2nd fret with my pointer and then put my ring finger on the 3rd
Quote by chumpzilla
even f?
but i play it weird

Hey Chumpzilla, is that for the D chord? Or the F chord? I don't really understand what you mean but the D chord is played like the person above said. Don't try to bar it - you can play that way but trust me when you get used to playing the D chord the proper way it's so much easier to switch into and out of. No seriously - heaps easier. Try learn it the proper way. It took me ages to learn bar chords and after practice I did it. I'm sure it'd be the same with playing D.
I remember the same problems. mine being mostly with the C chord. Trust everybody when they say if you practice enough it will just start happening by itself. A good thing to do is take 2 chords and switch back and forth as quickly as you can for 30 seconds at a time. The frustration will start coming in when you start barre chords, and that lasts about 2 weeks if you practice.
Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus w/ '60s neck
Ibanez JEM 7V
Jackson SL2H Soloist
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live
Quote by chumpzilla
even f?
but i play it weird

i used to do that too, but I dropped it in favor of the one previously suggested, as alot of songs will have you removing your middle finger or playing the third fret (G) on the high e string with your pinky.

try old man from neil young if you need practice with D and all of the shapes associated with it like Dsus4 or D9.
Quote by ominous24
I remember the same problems. mine being mostly with the C chord. Trust everybody when they say if you practice enough it will just start happening by itself. A good thing to do is take 2 chords and switch back and forth as quickly as you can for 30 seconds at a time. The frustration will start coming in when you start barre chords, and that lasts about 2 weeks if you practice.

Thanks for all the help. It's funny you mention the "C" chord because the last two songs i've been messing with had "C" chords and variations. By playing those songs, I now feel more comfortable with it (and it's quite a stretch). So, it does all come down to practice.

Everytime a chord doesn't sound right I look at my finger positions and find the culprit. I make adjustments and keep going. I guess this is how a beginner learns and gets better, at least I hope!