All the time people ask me why some guitars are worth so much like why a Gibson SG is worth so muc more than an Epiphone SG. I say like what wood they're made out of, how they sound, the name, all that, but I can never think of a really good answer that they'll just be like oh, well then it's definitely worth it. Can anyone help solve that for me?
There be no shelter here.
Quote by courtkid1012
All the time people ask me why some guitars are worth so much like why a Gibson SG is worth so muc more than an Epiphone SG. I say like what wood they're made out of, how they sound, the name, all that, but I can never think of a really good answer that they'll just be like oh, well then it's definitely worth it. Can anyone help solve that for me?

its a better quality intstument its just like a car why would u get ssome cheap ford when u can get a nice mercedes
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
the pichups,wood, and that bout it,ur basically just buy the name,if its a ibson,or an ovation acoustic,u think gibson beter bc its more famous/expensive
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
1) Better quality
2) Better pickups
3) Better wood
4) Made with more care
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Quote by gstacey1
its a better quality intstument its just like a car why would u get ssome cheap ford when u can get a nice mercedes
hahah thats almost ecaxtly wat my mom said,mecedes/ford even too
i have a g-400, it's like an exact replica of the Gibson, but i would rather have a Gibson
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
It's the quality of parts/materials, the time taken over manufacture and the country its manufactured in.
ALL THE PLAYERS ARE KEEN GRAVE MAKERS
Quote by gstacey1

hey, mercedes is overpriced luxury cars built in germany. ford is quality. mercedes are for snobby people who can't buy a regular car and wanna make a statement about how classy they are.
Well for gibson you are paying for a brand name used by tons of famous muscians. A gibsons a gibson its more expensive because workers put more time in it and the look of it is signature and just the name I would buy a gibson over a epiphone any but don't unless you have the money and really know what you want. If you wanted say and sg but have never played and dont honestly know what sound and type of guitar you are looking for get an epiphone its 90% the same and cheaper. I recommend both but if you are a skilled guitarist and want and awsome signature brand name guitar get the gibson if you want and awsome guitar but in the back of your mind you honestly dont know if that is your dream guitar get an epiphone. I recommend both though.
Quote by dbl93100
hey, mercedes is overpriced luxury cars built in germany. ford is quality. mercedes are for snobby people who can't buy a regular car and wanna make a statement about how classy they are.

And, in this case, Mercedes is Gibson. People like having them because it makes them feel important and better about themselves when, really, you're spending a shitload of cash on worthless, shiny crap when you can get something that ends up being even better for a fraction of the price. It's like "all right, I ten times that for mostly the Gibson name, but, hey, this one tunes itself!"
You're*
I don't really find a huge difference between a >$500 guitar and a $1200 guitar.. I played a Gibson Explorer at GC, and to be honest, it wasnt that great. I think I'm one of those cheap guitar guys.. the high-dollar ones dont do it for me
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
That car analolgy is perfect. Thanks.

But as far as the epiphone gibson thing, it's basically all in the name, right? (and the sound quality too, from the epiphones i've heard, they're pretty bad)
There be no shelter here.
Quote by RabbidWolf
I don't really find a huge difference between a >$500 guitar and a $1200 guitar.. I played a Gibson Explorer at GC, and to be honest, it wasnt that great. I think I'm one of those cheap guitar guys.. the high-dollar ones dont do it for me

+1 im the same , i fell in love with the epi wilshire (300ish)
i played a gibson sg (1200+) and it crappier pickups,and it didnt feel as nive as the epi,
and i played a gibson V (2500+) (only 1000 made) and i hated it! i dont think its money to me,its comfort,sound,then looks