Normally refers to sound characteristics of the AMP pr PREAMPS high frequency range... The higher the presence the frequencies are boosted...

Or at least that's how I understand it.
Quote by edusty2010
I think it's gain over all - IE if presence is high then all channels will have more gain than if presence is low.

Nope.

It's more like really high treble, I don't know much about it but I know it's not gain.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zeppelin_1223
I think it's the frequency above Treble.
Like. bass.mids,treble,presence.

It could be that, I have no real definition for you, I just turned my amp on and messed with the presence for a bit and higher presence sounded to have more gain. Hmmm, I'll turn it on again and maybe check PH at low and high presence settings.
google works wonders.....
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
boosts the upper frequencies above the normal treble control range for added high-end

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Just give up, because Callo just destroyed you.
Quote by daytripper75
if i am not pooping, i stand to pee. if i am pooping, it makes more sense to just sit down in the first place.

CALLO

Ok, got it. So amps that lack presence control (like mine) are doomed to bassier tones?
Quote by Alex Zyka
Ok, got it. So amps that lack presence control (like mine) are doomed to bassier tones?

No, just MORE bassier tones.
You could quite simply boost the treble and maybe some mids, if that really bothers you.
If you turn down the presence, it sounds like there is a blanket over the speakers. The more you turn it down the thicker blanket gets. (more muffled) If you turn the presence way up, your head explodes.

No, in all ceriousness if you turn it up, the top end sounds more gritty and nail biteing. Ex: Bring me the Horison has high presence. And Dethklok has slightly low presence
Quote by Alex Zyka

No.
ಠ_ಠ
Presence controls the range of the treble control. Having control of presence basically is like having a blanket over your amp, as you raise the presence it sounds like you are steadily taking the blanket off your amp.

Its amazing what you can learn in the Guitar Gear & Accessories section of the forums.

EDIT:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232
Presence: Increases or decreases the frequency range of the treble knob- basically, low presence sounds like you have a blanket over your amp, and increasing the presence will sound like you?re gradually removing it.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Oct 12, 2008,
presence is the range between the treble frequency and the bass frequency.
boosting up the presence will increase your note duration as well as it will increase sustain. ex: for heavy and fast riffs presence is usually down, so that the notes may fade away faster avoiding ressonance.
ex2: for slow and creamy solos you put presence up.

hope that helps you
Quote by J.J.G.
presence is the range between the treble frequency and the bass frequency.
boosting up the presence will increase your note duration as well as it will increase sustain. ex: for heavy and fast riffs presence is usually down, so that the notes may fade away faster avoiding ressonance.
ex2: for slow and creamy solos you put presence up.

hope that helps you

Not even close.

The others pretty much got it in saying it's a step above treble, but I don't know if the "blanket" analogy is such a good one, sonically. It sort of controls the amount of bite in your tone, so to say.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
Not even close.

The others pretty much got it in saying it's a step above treble, but I don't know if the "blanket" analogy is such a good one, sonically. It sort of controls the amount of bite in your tone, so to say.

The "Blanket" thing is confusing, I never explain it like that to people.
TS, and anyone else, should just know it's the frequency above treble.
It is specifically 4 kHz to 6 kHz.

http://www.recordingeq.com/EQ/req0400/OctaveEQ.htm

The Presence Range

"Although this range covers a mere half-octave of 4 kHz to 6 kHz, it is an often-used band of frequencies. This range makes most vocals and melody instruments sound closer and more distinct. Over-boosting causes a irritating and harsh sound. Equalization centers around 5 kHz."

You see it on acoustic stuff more than electric guitar amps.