I've got a Jim Dunlop JH-1 Jimi Hendrix wah at the moment that I've been using for the last couple of years... It has served me well, as I am in a Funk/Rock band of Chili Peppers/Funkadelic taste.

Lately the wah has been ballsing up quite alot, as it only half turns on or half turns off when you hit the switch sometimes... other times it's alright.
It's pretty risky too, cause I use it a fair bit in the band and live shows can be rather daunting when you have a wah that shits itself at the worst times (eg. upon breaking into a massive guitar solo... that's happened many times and it wasn't pretty).

I can't really be bothered fixing it, cause A) I dont know how and B) I want to get a better wah tone anyway... the JH-1 is a bit too, whats the word, notchy? It doesn't cleanly swift through the wah sound, it kind of goes in stages? if you know what I mean...

ANYWAY, the point of this thread is... I'm thinkin of buying a Vox wah, because I've heard decent things about them. Does anyone know the main differences between the Vox wahs and the JH-1s? Is this a good transition, or are there better wahs I should look at?

I would like to own an Ibanez wh-10, as I'm sure many people do, but they're extinct

They both have that "notchy" effect that you're talking about. Truth be told the standard Vox V847 is pretty much the same pedal as the Dunlop Crybaby, the bypass sucks a little less though.

If you want a real good wah, look at Fulltone Clydes. More expensive than the Vox or Dunlops but you really get what you pay for when it comes to wahs.
Hmm that's a shame... I don't really dig that notchy feel, it is useful for getting some good feedback/overtone harmonics and stuff but not for full on use...

For an example of the clean wah tone I'm lookin for, download "Walkabout" and/or "Sir. Psycho Sexy" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers... I believe Dave Navarro used a crybaby on Walkabout (maybe, could be wrong) but John F used an ibanez wh-10 on sir psycho and I quite like the cleanliness of them both...
Will go check out some Clydes in a sec on youtube and ebay though!
Quote by loop-de-luke
Hmm that's a shame... I don't really dig that notchy feel, it is useful for getting some good feedback/overtone harmonics and stuff but not for full on use...

For an example of the clean wah tone I'm lookin for, download "Walkabout" and/or "Sir. Psycho Sexy" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers... I believe Dave Navarro used a crybaby on Walkabout (maybe, could be wrong) but John F used an ibanez wh-10 on sir psycho and I quite like the cleanliness of them both...
Will go check out some Clydes in a sec on youtube and ebay though!

Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700