I have my own definition - but I'm not sure if its correct. I guess its pretty important I know what exactly "warmer" tone means since I'm trying to select a tube.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Let me think of how to define it.....

I've got nothing.

I don't think there is a "definition." You can tell if it sounds warmer, and you'll know it when you hear. That's what i say.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by mike.h
I have my own definition - but I'm not sure if its correct. I guess its pretty important I know what exactly "warmer" tone means since I'm trying to select a tube.
Well Mike, what amp are you gonna be putting these into, and what don't you like about your tone?

Warmer doesn't necessarily mean better.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
What I've gathered is that "Cold" tone sounds a bit hollow, right?

Warm would be the opposite?

Warm doesnt mean bright though... Right?

Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
What I've gathered is that "Cold" tone sounds a bit hollow, right?

Warm would be the opposite?

Warm doesnt mean bright though... Right?

Right. Bright is different. I think hollow is a decent word to describe it.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
It's for the VK - I found my tone seems a bit too dark - meaning at times it can sound hollowish - gah, It's hard to describe. I like my tone overall, but I think if I can get a warmer 6L6 it would help (I cracked my JJ 6L6 last night).

I've heard people say that the JJ is darker in comparison to others.

Right now I'm looking at the TAD 6L6WGC, its supposedly warm and smooth with early breakup. Sounds good to me. I had someone recommend it for 5150's and VK's
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

When I think of a "warm" tone I think of one that is bassy, creamy, and smooth. If you get what I mean.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Quote by mike.h
It's for the VK - I found my tone seems a bit too dark - meaning at times it can sound hollowish - gah, It's hard to describe. I like my tone overall, but I think if I can get a warmer 6L6 it would help (I cracked my JJ 6L6 last night).

I've heard people say that the JJ is darker in comparison to others.

Right now I'm looking at the TAD 6L6WGC, its supposedly warm and smooth with early breakup. Sounds good to me. I had someone recommend it for 5150's and VK's
Actually that Tung Sol you have in V1 is a dark preamp tube. That could be a factor in it.

Here's what I'll prescribe.
V1 - Penta 12AX7
V2 - Shuguang 12AX7 9th gen
V3 - JJ ECC803S
Ruby 6L6GCMSTR

It may be costly but I think that would really improve the tone. Ruby's are great.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Warm tone=Gilmour, Santana.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Really?

I was under the impression that Tung-Sol is a warmer tube. I thought my tone improved when I popped the Tung Sol in V1, much more clarity in the gain compared to the JJ.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
Really?

I was under the impression that Tung-Sol is a warmer tube. I thought my tone improved when I popped the Tung Sol in V1, much more clarity in the gain compared to the JJ.
Tung Sols and JJ 12AX7's are darker preamp tubes.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by mike.h
Really?

That's what I though too, I though jjs were fairly dark while tungsols are fairly bright. If you don't mind losing some gain maybe try a 5751 in v1. I'm a firm believer in using other preamp tubes besides the 12AX7, hell my amp has three different kinds and not one 12ax7!
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
That's what I though too, I though jjs were fairly dark while tungsols are fairly bright. If you don't mind losing some gain maybe try a 5751 in v1. I'm a firm believer in using other preamp tubes besides the 12AX7, hell my amp has three different kinds and not one 12ax7!

Yea I actually had the 5751 in V1 before I broke the 6L6, I dont update my sig that often. I realized that the Tung Sol was dying so I took it out.

"That's what I though too, I though jjs were fairly dark while tungsols are fairly bright."
Are you saying that the Tung Sol is actually dark? Can't really tell
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

No, to me JJs are dark and tung sols are bright.
So..

Is the Tung-Sol warm?

Holy crap this is more confusing than it should be lol.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Lets simplify this and eliminate all this light, dark, and opaque stuff. What is wrong with your tone now (be specific) and where do you want it to go (specific examples or youtube clips or something would be great)?
Sometimes my tone can be a bit fizzy and hollow. This is basically just me being picky, but I notice it sometimes.

I'd like a bit smoother gain and a bit warmer tone. I play mostly Metal, Opeth for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5LRReFYus&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpH3qhP_UE&fmt=18
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Last edited by mike.h at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by Kevin Saale
No, to me JJs are dark and tung sols are bright.

+1
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
mike h is back!!! havn't seen you around here in a longg time
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808