Hey guys. I am thinking about getting a new amp. I need a half stack that sounds great for death metal, thrash, all around metal, and sounds okay on clean too.

any advice on an amp I should get?
Help is appreciated!

and my budget is no more than 600.
you are NOT going to get a GOOD sounding half stack for $600.

don't limit yourself to the "best sellers" on the online catalogs.

as 311 said, check out bugeras, b-52 at series, randall rg50tc, and uh... used 5150s, xxx's, and others.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Used Carvins are extremely cheap and will probably do thrash metal but that's the extent of it. I'd suggest opening your mind a bit, look outside half stacks.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by leadfootdriver

Even a quality used cab ends up being about $600 shipped by itself, which is why I was clarifying about the budget. If you could get lucky enough to find something locally you'd be better off, but $600 for a good head and cab in unlikely.
Quote by 4regt4
Even a quality used cab ends up being about $600 shipped by itself, which is why I was clarifying about the budget. If you could get lucky enough to find something locally you'd be better off, but $600 for a good head and cab in unlikely.

Quote by acdcrocks0323

The "Modern" 4x12 is around $600 shipped if I remember correctly. The vintage has the slanted baffle that isn't something I'd want and the other type is ugly and fairly tiny for certain amps/speakers.

Not sure about used on them as they aren't very common used.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
4x12 isn't exactly needed. A 2x12 would be sufficient.

Probably, but the threadstarter was asking about a half stack. And in the event you can practically have a non-combo set-up, then it is certainly better than having your tubes stuck in a speaker cabinet. The Avatar vintage 2x12 cab looks real nice, but that still wouldn't leave much for a nice head.