I just had an acoustic show today and it went great! It was me and two other touring guys and we pulled in a really good crowd. One of the guys was a really funny musician and he really had the crowd going, and the other was a better musician but wasn't as funny so the crowd wasn't very interested. So the question arises:

How do you go about that little space of time in between songs?

Crack Jokes? Life Stories? or nothing really?
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Jokes are usually good. Make sure it's not a stand-up routine though. Don't tell the same ones at every show. Make the jokes pertain to something going on at the show you're playing. Talk about the songs if you wrote them. Talk about them afterwards if people really liked them.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
tell some stories...what the next song is about or what the previous song was about..ask people how they are doing..thank them for coming out..introduce them to the band mates

some jokes
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
Tell funny stories that have relevance to the song. It works better playing an acoustic show than a death metal show, IMO.
death metal shows or anything that have core at the end of it are not good for talking in between songs...

unless you just wanna say **** you or something....
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
In the John Mayer thread of the Blues forum there has recently been a seminar posted that he gave at Berklee recently. He talks about this as a tip. He says that the audience isn't there to hear you tell jokes. They are there to hear you play music.

He gives other useful tips too, and I thought it was worth the 100mb and 1h, 45mins out of my life.

Ahhh screw it, I'll just grab it for you.

http://johnmayer.yuku.com/topic/6859/t/2-Hour-John-Lecture-in-Berklee-Class-Recording-Inside.html?page=1

edit: Thanks to UGer Matson for finding that. I won't take credit at all, I'm just passing it on.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Last edited by syk3d at Oct 13, 2008,
I like to think of gigs as a get together of me and friends. spite how most the time I hardly know anyone there it tends to go well. I think its cause it feels more like a friendly "we're all here to have a good time" atmosphere. instead of the I'm here to play and make money feel I get off alot of bands around my local area. people tend to hate that... least I do anyways. so just act like your around your friends and should hopfully have a good gig. inless of course you have the most boring personality this world has ever seen.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
Quote by syk3d
the audience isn't there to hear you tell jokes. They are there to hear you play music.

not true IMO
when i go to a concert i dont want to see a band play and just that
if i just want o listen to them i could just download their songs. when i see a band i want them to make a fun-to-watch show.
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
not true IMO
when i go to a concert i dont want to see a band play and just that
if i just want o listen to them i could just download their songs. when i see a band i want them to make a fun-to-watch show.

QFT