God, I get tedious whenever I try to read music. I have to check it over and over again to see if the note is right and see if the position I'm in is the correct range for the melody. And then there's the key signature! And the clef!

Does it have to be that you only get better at reading music by reading music, or is there at least a better way to do this?
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Im currently learning all of the scales and everything over, i was in band for 3 years but havent done anything with sheet music for 3 years.
I Suggest learning about the circle of fifths so you know what scale its in, and then i guess you have to memorize the position on the guitar. But you have to keep memorizing and practicing to get better, just like anything else.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
I use to use these theory books which was like they gave you a note and you put the string and the fret. They're called Theory Time. Would that work for you?
Quote by masterohumans
I use to use these theory books which was like they gave you a note and you put the string and the fret. They're called Theory Time. Would that work for you?

Lol, books from K-12. Though that does seem interesting. At least that. Anything else?
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

I have the same problem. The reason why i get this though is because i have no idea how one is supposed to know the correct octave of the note. Like say i see a middle C on the paper i dont know where that C is on guitar because theres like 12 places to play it and i dont which one is the right one. Any help on this?
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Quote by jpgilbert701
I have the same problem. The reason why i get this though is because i have no idea how one is supposed to know the correct octave of the note. Like say i see a middle C on the paper i dont know where that C is on guitar because theres like 12 places to play it and i dont which one is the right one. Any help on this?

I think middle C is on the 5th fret, 3rd string, or 3rd fret, 5th string (wow, that's weird). Either one.

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Its a lot easier when you have a teacher.

Blaarg, I'm very poor and I can't afford a teacher, though, my Jazz program in my school is bound to start again. I'll take all the help I can get.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Middle C is on the 1st fret of the B string or the 5th fret of the G string.
I just wanted to point out that the guitar is a transposing instrument. In standard notation, the notes are written a full octave above what you should play. If the sheet music says middle C, you should actually play C below middle C.
"Music is all about wanting to be better at it."

~Geddy Lee

Quote by titsmcgee852
Hahaha. Probably the best post i've seen from an 08'er.

He was talking about me.