Hey guys, need a bit of help with choosing a new guitar, im fairly picky so im finding it pretty difficult, ive been playing about 2 years and am at the stage where i want to pretty much burn my ibanez Gio, heap of crap imao, anyways here are the specs im looking for in a guitar -

- 6 or 7 string, preferably 7
- Active EMGs or Duncan distortion pickups
- Set thru
- Rosewood fingerboard
- Black nickel hardware
- Decent trem bridge (not a locking floyd rose)
- Z or standard shape
- Under $1400

So yeh they're pretty much the main things i would like on a new one, i play predominently metal (death metal, grindcore, thrash etc) but play a bit of rock here and there like Tool and Audioslave so i need something thats gunna take a thrashing and low tuning (hence wanting a 7 string). Atm ive come down to and ESP LTD MH-1000, ESP LTD EX-400 or a Gibson Explorer Shred-X, so yeh any amount of help on helping me decide would be greatly appreciated
you do know the MH-1000 has a floyd...and out of question, what's your current amp?
Using a Marshall 100DFX, yeh not a tube and yes i did know the MH-1000 has a floyd rose, but only the one with EMGs, the one with Duncans doesnt
Quote by =MetaL=FanatiC=
Using a Marshall 100DFX, yeh not a tube and yes i did know the MH-1000 has a floyd rose, but only the one with EMGs, the one with Duncans doesnt

What is your current guitar?

To be honest, you're amp is a POS. I'm sorry to tell you. Take all that money and go for an amp instead. If you have a bad guitar, and you really want a new one, split your money 40/60 on a guitar/amp.

EDIT - I'm assuming you mean the MG100DFX?
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Last edited by Reds3031 at Oct 13, 2008,
Yeh i dont mind u saying haha, i would get a valve amp or something better if i had the money lol, im playing a GSA60 atm, its horrid to play, i can live with the amp longer than i can live with the guitar >_<
Instead of buying the 1000 series MH, try just going for the 400 and saving the rest of the money for a nice amp. I know what its like to have to live with an MG, but also wanting a new guitar
Quote by Tubyboulin
Instead of buying the 1000 series MH, try just going for the 400 and saving the rest of the money for a nice amp. I know what its like to have to live with an MG, but also wanting a new guitar

The 400 is still an AWESOME guitar for the price. My friend has one, and I play it all the time.

Did you mean 1400 AUS dollars or USD?
i think he means he has 1400 aus dollars. stupid australian....get better already. but if you must buy a guitar my vote is for the m-h 400
Gear: I haz some

Quote by RCA1186
hah its ok besa, i still love you

^ guess someone has too
Yeh i heard they were great guitars for the price , 1400 AUS dollars dude haha, u know how much MH-400s are worth in the US approx?
1,400.00 AUD

=

944.441 USD

according to xe.com

I would say spend most of that on an amp and then save up for a guitar.

What kind of music do you play?

Also, ask the guitar gear and accessories forum for more amp help. It really would serve you better to get a new amp over a new guitar.
Last edited by Reds3031 at Oct 13, 2008,
I wouldn't get a shred x they've put a kahler on it but no locking nut so whenever you use it you'll be out of tune.
Arhh i play pretty much every style of metal haha (behemoth, metalica, nile, opeth, dream theater etc) not very broad, hopefully the stock market reconditions by christmas :S but seriously, i have no problem with the amp atm, i might by a mesa mid next year providing i have the money.

Shred X are beautiful guitars dude, i could go just go easy on the divebombs if i were to buy one *shifty eyes*
search your local craigslist for LTD-400 guitars... The Stefen carpenters, adn the Viper-400 should come out to under $400 used, so its possible to find something. Then you'll have almost $600 left over for a tube combo. That would be your best bet IMO.

But in this scenario, Your amp is a much bigger need. Good luck.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II Vintage Black w/ EMG 60/81
ESP LTD EX-400 Black w/ EMG 60/81
ESP LTD EC-2005 Black w EMG 85/81

Amps:
Crate GLX1200 w/ 4x12 Slant CAB (only useful as a chromatic tuner)
Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech RP100