So I was at the Halloween store (don't ask) and I saw a Jamaican hat with fake dreadlocks. I instantly thought of Marley, and got "Three Little Birds" stuck in my head. So I looked, and didn't see a thread on him.

Post some yays, or post some nays, anything 'bout da King Of Da Reggae. I think his music was great, but he was a wife abuser
Bob Marley is the most influential reggae artist of all time. He influenced soooo many artists throughout the years and is considered, as we all know, a legend. He died a young man but will go down as a legend. RIP.
I love Bob Marley and Co. (Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer) to death. I'm a big reggae fan. That's why it pisses me off when I see college kids who have Bob Marley posters in their rooms when they only know 2 or 3 of his works, and only like him because he smoked weed and because he was Jamaican.

Same goes with like Jim Morrison or Jimi Hendrix.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by therussian
That's why it pisses me off when I see college kids who have Bob Marley posters in their rooms when they only know 2 or 3 of his works, and only like him because he smoked weed and because he was Jamaican.

"What do you mean? I loooove Bob Marley, I loooove Jamaican people, I first started listening to Reggae music when my black friend, Rupert, introduced it to me when I was at university. I was amazed by their struggle and culture, I really appreciate the black mans music, its reaaaaally thoughtful. I knoow loads of people from Kingston... Upon Thames."

I dont really like Bob Marley, partly because of all the studenty trustafarian pricks that like him. I've listened to dub, ska, roots and early dancehall for a long time, but I've pretty much not paid much attention to Marley at all.
i agree about the people who only know a few songs by him, its frustrating to hear. Bob marley brought so much good music to us and influenced many of reggae's best artists. by the way, his kids are amazing reggae artists too!
You guys are just being elitist. I think the more people who like Bob Marley and know about him the better, even if it's just a few songs. Then maybe they will lead others to Marley, and etc, etc.

But Duppy Conqueror and Burnin' are some awesome tracks.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
No artist in history has created music that can inject peace and love into your soul the way Marley's does
Quote by aetherspear
You guys are just being elitist.

Of course.

But to have such a burning love for an artist, I'm sure it's necessary to know more than a few of their songs.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
I agree how people who maybe dont even know 3 songs wear his t-shirts and have posters kind of pisses me off. It goes the same for Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, and Grateful Dead.

His music is amazing and he is one of my favorite artists(i have almost every album), but there are definitly times when I prefer Peter Tosh's solo work.

I think One Drop might be my favorite song, or Lively Up Yourself because it has the best groove ever.
Quote by therussian
Of course.

But to have such a burning love for an artist, I'm sure it's necessary to know more than a few of their songs.

That may be true, and it also may be true that he is known more for the marijuana association than for his music. However, I find your posts to be pretty out of character for someone who has a great passion and respect for marley ad his values.

Anyone else takin a liking for ziggy and stephen's material?
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
yeah a lot of reggae elitists will totally discount Bob's work, but thats just a load of BS he was an incredible talent.
Fave songs:
Easy Skankin (imagine that)
Africa Unite
Exodus
Small Axe
Two of my favorites are Redemption song and Could You Be Loved. I really love Reggae, and I'm working on learning more of his works, especially ones not on Legend.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I loved him when I was little...a two year old girl who knew all the words to "Buffalo Soldier".
Bob Marley was amazing, and like it's been said, not 'cos he was Jamaican and smoked green.

He made some beautiful songs that really outlined the struggle of his people, as well as his own personal struggles me thinks. Incidentally, Redemption is the only song I ever cared about enough to learn to play of my own accord.

Anyone here a big reggae fan?
when you look at your music collection, you know when to put some blues on, you know when to bring out the metal,etc etc but boy, you KNOW when its reggae time!

For a long time my only exposure to reggae music was Bob Marley, who I love so much to this day. But I'd go to a record store wanting to buy some reggae and wouldnt know wtf to do cos there was so many reggae artists that I had never heard of, so I wouldn't risk buying anything incase it wasnt any good. But the internet opened everything up and I discovered so much amazing music. Its so rewarding to actively get into a new genre of music. Reggae is awesome.

its just such a healthy genre of music, chilled out and positive. It gives me a peaceful state of mind I can't get anywhere else.

Playing reggae on guitar is the most chilled out thing to do and thanks to Bob, we've got loads of great easy songs to play (once you got your strummin' together anyway)

also i'm not a rasta but you've gotta appreciate the spiritual aspect of Marley's music.

I'll always have good words for Bob and other reggae musicians.