ive been playing knockin on heaven door chords for the past few days, I can do them clean if i press hard enough and chord change slowly... is this normal? they sound VERY BAD (buzzy, cranky) if i tried to chord change fast or do not press hard enough.

i am also trying to do barre for this song i like, but my finger is shit weak at it... is this normal? man, slow progress. so i just keep TRYING the barre chord?
Last edited by ShootingStars at Oct 12, 2008,
Hooray. Welcome to Learning to play guitar.

Pace yourself. Everything takes time. Just keep practicing. Build up finger & hand strength and soon you'll be noticing differences.
It's a bitch, man. A big ol' bitch.

But you'll get it, and then it'll all be worth it. Barre chords are especially tough and will make your hand hate you for quite a while.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by ShootingStars
ive been playing knockin on heaven door chords for the past few days, I can do them clean if i press hard enough and chord change slowly... is this normal? they sound VERY BAD (buzzy, cranky) if i tried to chord change fast or do not press hard enough.

i am also trying to do barre for this song i like, but my finger is shit weak at it... is this normal? man, slow progress. so i just keep TRYING the barre chord?

They will, they'll probably sound shit for the next three months or so

And don't even bother attempting barre chords yet, you've got no chance. Rather than jumping straight into a song just spend some time practicing a few chords on their own and get your hands used to the instrument.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yeah you should learn the c,a,g,e,d chords, and maybe a couple of scales to get your fingers moving
make sure to fap heavily with your fretting hand to get the strength up helps tons trust me
IM A LEFTY!

-Schecter C-1 classic
-Fender standard strat
-Peavey Vypyr 75w
-Sanpera II
-Yamaha FG720SL acoustic
Quote by 40oz2freeedom
make sure to fap heavily with your fretting hand to get the strength up helps tons trust me

I'm left handed with years of left-handed exercises under my belt and I play right handed, but I still had no shot of doing barre chords when I first started. Barre chords are basically impossible to do well in the beginning for normal people. While you're growing callouses and building some finger strength I would just memorize c, a, g, e, d as mentioned above, and then if you have those down move on to f (pretty tricky), a minor, e minor, and b minor. You'll see these chords a lot as well so you should definitely try to memorize them.
it will take at least a month before you stop making "noise" and will come close to sound something like "music that is shit". It takes time, im on my second month, each week it gets better and better, just keep practicing. every guitarist did it like that. Steve Vai practiced for 15 hrs a day.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
I went through the same problems you did at 3 days - it's completely normal. I'm 1 1/2 months in and am just learning to change chords and I still get buzzing all the time. From a beginner like you, TRUST ME, it is completely normal.
lol that sucks, you have along ways to go.
eventually itll click one day, and you will be able to switch fast between chords.
Practice switching between C, Am.
because its just 1 note change. and its a good place to start.
ya bar chords are really hard at the start(like f) but its normal to do bad you cant just pick up a guitar and do amazing you will getit soon dont quit!
Quote by simplekin88
it will take at least a month before you stop making "noise" and will come close to sound something like "music that is shit". It takes time, im on my second month, each week it gets better and better, just keep practicing. every guitarist did it like that. Steve Vai practiced for 15 hrs a day.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

15 hours a day, huh? Bullshit.
I guess the man never slept, went to school or worked at all?

Anyways, to the thread starter, it's completely normal. Some people, like myself, didn't get as far as you are now in a short period of time. I'd have to say the first couple of years I played guitar I would practice about 20 minutes a week on average, and it was more of just noodling around then practicing. Now, being 17, I hate the fact that I didn't show more interest in guitar in the past. Still now I don't practice as much as I'd like to.

Just stick to it. Practice tons, and everything will start coming to you naturally. It takes alot of work, but it'll be worth it in the long run.
on average when i asked all my friends last year when i started the guitar, how long it took them to start their open chord stuff, they said it took them about a month to get that stuff down and to be able to switch between them fast enough. they became (as well as i did) proficient at around 3-5 months in. barre chords took around the same time.

anyway, you don't pick up a videogame (a fighter like tekken, rts like starcraft) and beat the worlds best pros at it. it takes time to learn it, the strategies, and get that muscle memory down.

i bet you don't have calluses yet. calm down, things take time.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by about
on average when i asked all my friends last year when i started the guitar, how long it took them to start their open chord stuff, they said it took them about a month to get that stuff down and to be able to switch between them fast enough. they became (as well as i did) proficient at around 3-5 months in. barre chords took around the same time.

anyway, you don't pick up a videogame (a fighter like tekken, rts like starcraft) and beat the worlds best pros at it. it takes time to learn it, the strategies, and get that muscle memory down.

i bet you don't have calluses yet. calm down, things take time.

I've been playing for nearly 5 months and I'm getting there with open chords and barre chords. I'd say that I'm somewhat "proficient" now, but not "good" or "great".
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
It's going to take practice and time, practice for you to get your fingers used to the different positions and to get accuracy down (and eventually speed) and time for your callusces to develop, the first weeks or months of guitar are some of the most difficult, its up to you to put in the time and effort if you want to succeed, its worth it.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
dude its been three days, theyll sound shitty for quite awhile...and just when you think theyre good, youll record yourself and realize wow i suck...get used to it, its a long long road...but damnit its worth it and can be a ton of fun
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"