So here I am back in basics town. I don't venture in here much anymore, but there's a seemingly simple technique I'm yet to get right, on either my electric or acoustic.

After a year and change of playing, I still can't do the A major barre shape (starting on the A string and downward, ie like the B major chord). My ring finger just isn't big enough to make it happen, and the three-finger approach isn't working either.

easy for me:

-3-
-4-
-5-
-5-
-3-
----

nearly impossible for me

-x-
-5-
-5-
-5-
-3-
----

It kinda sucks cause I've been playing all these chords as power chords ignoring the b and e strings but I know thats not right.

Any advice besides the basic "practice" mandate?
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
The fastest fingering for that chord will be had by using your first and third fingers of your fretting hand and perform a double barre with them. First finger across all strings from A to high E at the 3rd fret, third finger across the DGB strings at 5th fret. It's the way the majority of ppl play it because this way is easier to transition to and from for other chords. There's no worrying about placing any more than 2 fingers down. No need to deal with the low E if you place the tip of your first finger close to it, you can just touch it with the tip, muting it, and as for the high e, either play it fretted at the 3rd fret or omit it by muting it with your first finger.
^^ my little finger is even weaker, no way it could bar

I watched how he did it on justin guitar, and put my fingers as close as possible to his and while it sounded a /little/ better, I still couldn't get it to ring out cleanly, I guess I'll just have to spend more time building up my ring finger strength.

I'm a little worried though, I killed my index with tendinitis or something this year, and I'd hate to do the same to my ring finger, esp cause I use it alot for bends.
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
I suggest starting to use the bar further down the neck where the frets are closer, then just slowly moving down. but yea its mostly just practice practice practice, i didnt get it at first either. the more you practice the stronger your fingers get. and i know its frustrating but itll work eventually. if you ever feel the muscle in your finger rip just stop playing for a day or two. it does hurt but its not a bad thing kus once it heals itll be stronger, and maybe after that youll be able to do it.
Dude I had the same thing. It's really a finger strength issue because you need to make 2 bars at the same time.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm