Hey guys, after about 4-5 months of dreaming of getting a Peavey 5150, I finally found one on craigslist with new tubes for $550, I spent a whole month trying to convince my dad that I should be able to buy the amp, but I finally did! I just came home a few hours ago with my first tube amp!

Before all the celebration, i have two quick questions:

-When I play I hear a fuzzy, staticy noise, is this just to expected with high-gain amp? how do i get rid of it? The guy who sold it to me said that the pre-amp tubes were replaced in March and the post-amp tubes were replaced in May, so i don't think that's the problem. Also, I've only played this baby at a volume of inbetween 0-1 (it's in my bedroom now) so maybe it'll be fixed if I just crank it up?

-second question: I know this is a n00b question, but i'm still so confused even after reading how to do it many times: How do i turn on the amp correctly? do I hit the standby and power switch at the same time, or the standby then the power switch or what? how about turning it off, both off at the same time, or the power off first and leave it on standby for a few seconds?

Time for celebration now!!!! w00!!! new amp!!

Anyway, off to do my English essay, I just wanted to share. Sorry for all the text.

Last edited by eddiethehead888 at Oct 14, 2008,
pics or it didn't happen!!!
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Congrats man, just make sure you crank it a bit more. That amp is NOT for bedroom playing by any means. And good luck with the band!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Im sorry, I seem to have forgot my manners! *get's camera to take pics* this may take a while guys, i have dialup, it should be worth it though.

Quote by stradivari310
Congrats man, just make sure you crank it a bit more. That
amp is NOT for bedroom playing by any means. And good luck with the band!

Ya, I know, I got the amp to play with my band, and to play shows, I'm gonna be using my tried and tested Microcube in the bedroom what sucks it that i can't play for a week because I injured my wrist. I couldn't resist playing my new amp today though, and my wrist dosen't bother me anymore anyway
Last edited by eddiethehead888 at Oct 12, 2008,
Turn on the power switch and then let the tubes warm and flip the standby.

GRATZZZ
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
i'll wait.....

oh, and i don't own a 5150 but the fizzyness is inherent i think but let an expert answer that one, and I do Power first, wait 30 sec, Standby on, play, both off at same time in reverse order. But again, I don't own a 5150 and I didn't go look anything thing up.

Congrats on AMP

we need the pronage.
For the first it sounds to me (if what you're describing is what I'm thinking it is, hard to tell without hearing it really) is normal and will get worse as you turn it up louder. It happens to my B-52 as well. If you really want to eliminate it you should look into a noise gate like an ISP decimater.

For the second, when I got my first tube amp I was asking the same question. It scared me not know if I was hurting my new amp lol. So on my amp, there are two switches, power and standy. Flip the power switch on, while leaving the standby switch off, this puts it into standby mode. Wait for about a minute for the tubes to warm up, then flip the second switch on and you're good to go. When I turn mine off I always flip off the standby switch then immediately after the power switch (don't know if it makes a difference or not).

Grats on the new amp, enjoy it.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
If your in your bedroom and still want the best from the amp, then you need an attenuator. From what I have read, and the fact Paul Gilbert endorses them, THD Hot Plates are pretty good.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_hotplate.html

Also, a good noise gate like an ISP Decimator may also do you a favour when playing with lots of gain. A Boss CS-2 Compressor/Sustainer would probably be good as well.

But anyway, enjoy that awesome amp!
wow, I couldn't seem to find my camera, so I had to use my shitty $10 camera that was given to me as a gift when I was 10 or 11. I had 3 lights shining on the guitar and amps in that room, and the camera makes it look dark as hell. Atleast I have pics now though

^^^ Yea, I though about getting an ISP Decimator, even the guy who sold me the amp recommended me one. But I'm flat broke right now (total wealth: $3 plus all the little pennies and nickels i have lying around) so I'll have to wait until I earn some more money (or get a job, I'm 16 and I can't seem to get a job anywere )
Last edited by eddiethehead888 at Oct 13, 2008,
yeah man its probably the most high gain amp out there apart from the uberschall and it has a lot of fizz..noise gate.

not to put you off it but i just always find mine unsatisfying to harsh, fizzy, impossible to get a sound out of it im happy with. but im going for an engl se so thats another level.
no offense bro but that was bad pronage. hit us again when you find your camera. Also, if you only post one photo per post we should be able to see photo. Assuming you are uploading from PC.

i thought a noise gate only cleaned the signal before it hit the amp. I could see an attenuator helping. And yes, it does sound better the more you crank it. Not MORE fizzy.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
no offense bro but that was bad pronage. hit us again when you find your camera. Also, if you only post one photo per post we should be able to see photo. Assuming you are uploading from PC.

i thought a noise gate only cleaned the signal before it hit the amp. I could see an attenuator helping. And yes, it does sound better the more you crank it. Not MORE fizzy.

I know, I'm ashamed of myself . Damn, AP english and it's essays being due tommorow, I'll find the camera tommorow and upload some real pics! The only reason my dad did let me get the amp is because I made a serious promise to keep my grades up real good, he said if i broke the promise he would take the amp away, or smash it or something...

How would an attenuator help with fizzyness? I though it was only for making the amp quieter so i can play bedroom levels (which I have the microcube for BTW)
Quote by ChromaZon
not to put you off it but i just always find mine unsatisfying to harsh, fizzy, impossible to get a sound out of it im happy with. but im going for an engl se so thats another level.

Yea, I wish i could get a thicker sound (for some reason bands like Insomnium and Quo Vadis come to mind when I think of the sound I want) but I'm still happy with this amp, and it was probably by far the best amp that I could of got in my price range (max of $550) unless a Randall RG50TC or an Ashdown Fallen Angel would have sounded better, but I couldn't find those anyway.
Last edited by eddiethehead888 at Oct 14, 2008,
Alright, I found my camera and finally posted a good pic. I was able to play the new amp a little bit louder today, as my parents were gone i cranked it all the way up to 3 it sounded so much damn better though. I can't wait to take it to my friend's house (the drummer) and crank it all the way up!
Oh, it's okay...

i cranked my Valveking up to 4 the other day!!!

O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Oct 13, 2008,
Quote by ChromaZon
yeah man its probably the most high gain amp out there apart from the uberschall and it has a lot of fizz..noise gate.

You need to hear some more amps! There's lots of gainier amps than a 5150, & they don't have fizzy tone.

Congrats to eddie on the new amp. Hopefully you'll get years of enjoyment out of it.
If it's getting unwanted static, try plugging into different outlets in your house & see if the problem goes away or the static changes at all. You could get unwanted interference from a number of household appliances like computers or TVs. If it sounds like high-gain background hiss (which I would not expect to have at low volumes), you still may need a noise gate.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog

You need to hear some more amps! There's lots of gainier amps than a 5150, & they don't have fizzy tone.

Congrats to eddie on the new amp. Hopefully you'll get years of enjoyment out of it.
If it's getting unwanted static, try plugging into different outlets in your house & see if the problem goes away or the static changes at all. You could get unwanted interference from a number of household appliances like computers or TVs. If it sounds like high-gain background hiss (which I would not expect to have at low volumes), you still may need a noise gate.

There are plenty of amps with a lot more usable gain.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS