how often do you break strings?

and how often do you have to change them?

i never really break them and i change them every 6-8 weeks

i play for hours and hours daily
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
I never broke my strings, I would be proud of myself if I did it whilst playing, heh.

I change them every 3 months, since I have no money to buy strings...

I too play for hours and hours...
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
I change my strings once a week, and don't break them too often.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
i change em every 5 months...
i too havent broken my strings and i too play for hours and hours daily
my "friend" breaks atleast 1 string a week..just by strumming a chord...not by doing anything grueling
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Then his/her technique is wrong, they are probably digging into the strings too much. Or they are tuned way too high.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by The_Sophist
Then his/her technique is wrong, they are probably digging into the strings too much. Or they are tuned way too high.

he is tuned standard...but i think he just strums wrong or whatever...he wont listen though hah
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Sounds like a guitarist to me.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
I break a string every month or two, Most of the time I replace all the strings once I'v broke one since it don't happen to often and when it does i can use a new set.
I used to break strings (tuned standard, Ernie Ball 10s) constantly. Then I went to D'Addario 11s, and I've never broken a string since. I suppose that the strings could be compensating for my bad technique....although I think attack is really important to differences in tone, and hitting the strings harder can definitely change how a passage sounds. I've also read that Pete Townshend had to change his strings before every gig in the '70s, because otherwise he would break the whole set on the first chord at the start of the next show.

As for me, I change them every 4-6 weeks, or when they get rusty. That's usually when the tone in them goes dead, I've noticed.
Quote by The_Sophist

I have a friend who does the first. On the second, though, I think his intonation is off. I tell him, but he too does not listen. It pains me when I hear a coarse attack from his amp.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Don't think I've ever broken a string with my current axe. There's no sharp edges or anything, and it would take quite a bit to break one, I'd think. Very well constructed guitar (Godin LGX-SA). And this is with 9's on there.

I had a guitar with a floyd rose floating trem that used to break strings all the time, but that was the trem's fault. Sharp edge as the string went into the trem. Piece of crap that was.

Frankly, I should be changing them a lot more than I do, but I really hate changing them. Probably do it every 4 months or so, but with the amount of time I play every day, I should probably change them at least once a month. Hasn't been a month and already starting to get battered.

I have a friend that never, ever changes his strings. If he breaks one, he just changes that one and goes on. Don't know how he can stand it, but he says he likes it better that way. That can't be good for his frets... lol

Grep.
One of my fender strings just randomly snapped LOL! I was just playing then i heard this TWAT and saw my D string snapped . Once , at my guitar lesson , i was setting up and i hear this TING and i saw my A string snapped and my teachers like WTF? Then he shows this guy and the guys like WTF too . Well i'm not going to buy Fender strings . Im going to try Ernie Ball.

My friend plays like 4 hours + a day changes his strings twice a week..
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by Quaned
One of my fender strings just randomly snapped LOL! I was just playing then i heard this TWAT and saw my D string snapped . Once , at my guitar lesson , i was setting up and i hear this TING and i saw my A string snapped and my teachers like WTF? Then he shows this guy and the guys like WTF too . Well i'm not going to buy Fender strings . Im going to try Ernie Ball.

My friend plays like 4 hours + a day changes his strings twice a week..

fender strins suck lol ernie balls are ACE

and your friend changes them twice a week?!?! insane..and unnecessary
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
well, I change my strings every month or two. pretty much whenever the tone starts sucking or I break one.

A week or two ago at band practice we were just fucking around, taking a break and I was messing around playing the Mario theme song and my E string broke for absolutely no reason, I was barely picking. I swapped out that one to continue practice and changed em when I got home.

Now today I broke my D string... wtf! pretty new strings, I didn't feel like I was playing to hard.... it was Killing In The Name of in the "Now you do what they told ya." part... I might've been playing harder than I meant to. I think it's the constant tuning between Drop C, Drop D, and E Standard.... I really want a new guitar for lower tunings.
I don't really ever break mine
but I change at least once a month and always have 6 sets of strings on me
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
better safe then sorry right?

I just kinda over due the safe part.
that and I find deals on my strings so I buy a ton at once
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
To all who are saying they don't know why their strings are breaking :

Nine times out of ten this problem is just poor technique, so be aware of what your doing to see if that is the problem.

If that isn't the problem, then you have a problem with your guitar. Check the bridge (or whatever mechanism acts as the bridge on your rig) to see if there are any sharp edges poking into the strings.

If you keep having problems, take your guitar in/ get a new one, or get thicker strings.

I play Martin mediums (acoustic) and D'darrio 0.9s (electric) and I never have problems, but I change my strings quite often.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz