Okay so here's the deal. I have an Epi LP custom that I've had for like 4 or so years now. It comes with gold hardware (bridge, tuners, etc). Recently I've noticed that some of the gold paint or finish or whatever is starting to wear down and become smudgy and faded.

Is there a way to paint the hardware? My guitar is alpine white and with the EMG's I think it would look badass to have all black hardware on it as well. I've never been a big fan of gold hardware anyway. Is there some kind of a special paint I would have to use? Is this even a feasible option? Or would I have to buy the already black hardware?

I was poking around on musiciansfriend and some of the new stuff is quite pricey (like $90 for just the bridge piece, that would like $200 just to replace the hardware on my LP, not worth it at that price imo). I didn't really see much in black either. I'd actually even prefer standard chrome over the gold though.

Thanks for any help

PS if anyone has done this and has any pics or anything of black hardware feel free to post them I'd love to see.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Replace the hardware, don't paint it. Chances are it will look tacky. Just get standard chrome tuners and a new bridge and tailpiece.
Gibson.
Quote by ThrashIsGreat
Replace the hardware, don't paint it. Chances are it will look tacky. Just get standard chrome tuners and a new bridge and tailpiece.

Well, that's what I was kinda thinking. If I'd have to replace the hardware then it's not worth it imo, too expensive.

This is like what I was talking about (color): http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/TonePros-Standard-Stop-Standard-Tailpiece?sku=300232

Even the chrome stuff that I saw on musiciansfriend was way too pricey for me. Are there any other sites that perchance have cheaper/more selection on hardware?
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
go to guitarfetish.com they have some hardware on there thats alot more affordable than on musiciansfriend
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
If you really want a valid answer as to refinishing hardware, check out the gear customization forum.

I personally second the guitarfetish idea.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by RabbidWolf
go to guitarfetish.com they have some hardware on there thats alot more affordable than on musiciansfriend

Ooo thanks, that is quite a lot cheaper than musiciansfriend!
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by Op3th
Ooo thanks, that is quite a lot cheaper than musiciansfriend!

no problem! really hope you can find what your looking for
Quote by RabbidWolf
no problem! really hope you can find what your looking for

Ya, they have everything I was looking for to replace all the gold hardware with black on guitarfetish. Still came out to about $90 though total So I dunno... debating whether I want to or not. On the one hand, I'll probably a new guitar someday and this is only an Epiphone (even though I still love this guitar). But on the other hand, I love Les Pauls and if the new guitar I upgrade to is a Gibson LP then I'd be able to use this hardware for the guitar...
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by Op3th
Ya, they have everything I was looking for to replace all the gold hardware with black on guitarfetish. Still came out to about $90 though total So I dunno... debating whether I want to or not. On the one hand, I'll probably a new guitar someday and this is only an Epiphone (even though I still love this guitar). But on the other hand, I love Les Pauls and if the new guitar I upgrade to is a Gibson LP then I'd be able to use this hardware for the guitar...

Well $90 total sounds better than $200 total

i dont think i personally would do it, I'm wierd and think that bumps and bruises and wears adds character to a guitar, gives it personality. y'know? Of course, having all black hardware on a white guitar is sexy though.. hard choice man
Quote by Op3th

90 bucks is nothing for a whole bridge and tailpiece deal, I don't know why you're still trying to cheap out.

It will most likely cost more to actually get the paint to stay on the damn hardware than it does to buy new ones.

If you ever do get a Les Paul, putting on the guitar fetish hardware would be pretty stupid in my books since the Gibby ones work fine.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.