So i've decided i rather not get a stack since these combos are plenty enough for a gig. And im literally torn between these two amps. I've looked around and i got the impression that the roadster is better for a tighter metal punchy distortion and the lonestar is more like a classic rock amp. I play pretty much anything but my amp HAS to have a good high gain lead channel because its for my band and all.

I've been saving up for quite a while so i just wanted to make sure i make the right decision.

Also how much are both of them anyways? Where is a good place to order em, on their website?
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
you can't order them new, you have to go to the store and buy them usually. Both of those amps can handle high gain leads, you need to try them both before you drop that kind of cash,
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i see. So if i had a friend who would sell me a single rectifier for like 500 bucks should i take it?
Are all mesa products like that?
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Roadking Series 2 has the clean channel circuit of the Lonestar now I thought, that and it can do just about any high gain rhythm or lead sounds.

Just my $.02, cause if your gonna drop that much cash, you ,may as well have a noodle on everything you can before you do it.

But seriously, any Mesa is an awesome amp.
a single recto for $500 is a great deal if you like how it sounds, but that's sort of a love it or hate it type amp.

and yeah Mesa only sells through shops and fixes their prices (dealers have to sell at MSRP)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yep unfortunately Mesa/Boogie is pretty strict on their pricing.

I'd say the main difference between the Lonestar and the Roadster is the voicing. I find that the Roadster is more modern and American while the Lonestar is looser and more British.

That said I think if you want a really tight punch sound, a combo isn't the best choice because the open back enclosure won't give the same "umph" a closed back will.

I'd get a Roadster head then find yourself a Mesa 4x12 or 2x12 on the used Market. Probably will come out as a little more but it'd be worth it. Hell, even buy the Roadster used if you can because $2,000 is a lot of money, especially if you can find one for less.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I can't comment on the Lonestar as I have yet to try one, but I own a Mesa Roadster 212 Combo. This amp is sick! You need brutal high gain? This thing has it in excess. But it can do so much more too. It is actualyl quite versatile if you want it to be. All of the channels have a 3 way mode switch which can help you achieve so many different tones. With a little EQ tweaking you can get some amazing cleans and even some good British sounding tones too if that's what you're looking for. But gain is definitely what this thing does best. If you play metal then I would highly recommend this amp. It simply kills.

Don't just go out and buy it on my word alone though. Although I'm fairly certain you wouldn't regret purchasing this baby, you should still go and test both amps out for yourself to find which one suits you better.

Quote by rwalby9
That said I think if you want a really tight punch sound, a combo isn't the best choice because the open back enclosure won't give the same "umph" a closed back will.

The Roadster Combo has a closed back.
Oh ok thanks guys
one more thing, i've heard that the b-52 at100 is like a poor man's mesa. In the same fields of music (metal) which one would pack more of a punch, the at100 or a single rec?
^Single Rectifier is a better amp than a AT 100. 500 Dollars for a Single Rectifier is good deal, I would jump on that even if you didn't like it, the amp is simply worth more than that. Also if your into a boogie tone on a budget and are in need more of versatile amp then a Used Peavey XXX would be a good option, the Ultra is similar in stucture to a Rectifier and the Crunch Channel is very similar to a hot roded marshall. If I where you I would grab that Single rectifier for 500.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
If you want high gain, you want the Roadster, period.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you want high gain, you want the Roadster, period.

+1 (based on the roadking i've tried, i assume the roadster is similar-ish). the lone star is a much more vintage-voiced amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you play hard rock to metal, the lone star isn't a great choice. It's built for excellent cleans. That being said, it can do blues to classic rock well, and you can crank it and get some more gain for an almost brown kind of tone. Takes a lot of volume for that though.

The Roadster is a good amp, I'd like to try one with some JJ power tubes. The standard mesa tubes aren't that great. The amp itself has quite a few features, I believe you can assign each channel to 25, 50, or 100 watts. It does in fact have the lonestar cleans. The problem I find that the roadster has is how saggy it is. Even on silicon diode, high gain, and a good amount of mids, the amp still feels difficult to play on, such as the 3 channel rectifiers. It does 100% need an overdrive for you to use it and enjoy it thoroughly.

However, if you're considering buying it new, you could easily nab a Roadking, which IMO smokes the crap out of both the lonestar and roadster. The older roadking's also have a more harmonic gain and better leads than the series 2. The cleans on the series 2 do have the original beat by quite a bit though. You can get them both on ebay for about $1800-$2000 no problem. I got mine for $1700, had to get the tubes replaced, the buyer sent me another $100 to compensate; the day before I bought mine on ebay I seen a legit roadking halfstack for $1,600 BIN.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Roadster out of the two. I'd also try the Road King head, and if you can, try a Mark IV or a DC head.