Ok so...I play guitar and I don't sing, but I do write lyrics.

But I'm locked in this sort of block. I don't even know what sort of genre I wanna head through or even how I want it to go.

So what I'm looking for here is, where do you get your inspiration? How did you know what type of music you were gonna play?And how did you come about playing that style?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mi inspiration is my boyfriend.. so I think you could use one like that.. is there some girl you like, or do you have a girlfriend.. if not, you could use some recent facts, for example my grandmother just died, and it was horrible, so I wrote a song... just focus in your feelings.. sit still, and relax for a while, just thinking, and it would help...

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild and freak out and do anything they want to do." - Jimi Hendrix

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." - John Lennon

I'm a GIRL!
I get my inspiration from my soul, to truly express your own art form in anything you have to be able to put your soul into it, like, lets say you have a girl you love, write how you feel about her like heres a verse from a song i wrote recently

Smile for me babe
just forget the past and come with me
to my own world where everything
is free (free)
nothing here to hold you back
from making your dreams
to making you smile
to making you free (free)

But also listen to some songs you like, never to anything that bores you. When i first started i wanted to play like led zeppelin and black sabbath, but i totally changed my style to a new style, the best thing to do for that is go your own route and not to listen to anything anyone says about how you play. I think i came to my style of playing when i used to practice led zeppelin songs in my basement then i started playing a spanish type riff and i kinda came up with a alternative rock/country style once i based a song or two on that style of melody. But all music comes from within, you know.

Peace and best of luck with your playing from,
the most chilled hippie!

P.s. A really good song to learn is sweet home alabama, or purple haze.
I like that...I have a girlfriend who I absolutely love but for some reason I feel weird when I try to write songs for her. And i know how to play purple haze and I needa learn to play Sweet home alabama.
Quote by pawm24
Mi inspiration is my boyfriend.. so I think you could use one like that.. is there some girl you like, or do you have a girlfriend.. if not, you could use some recent facts, for example my grandmother just died, and it was horrible, so I wrote a song... just focus in your feelings.. sit still, and relax for a while, just thinking, and it would help...

Songs about love (especially new love) are incredibly difficult to write without having them come off as cheesy. Happy songs in general are difficult to write (unless your name is Jason Mraz).

Also, this needs to be moved. I'm pretty sure you posted this in the wrong area.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light