How does a 5150 compare to other tube amps for a metal tone at 600-700$

looking only at combos no Stacks they cost way to much and are over kill for my needs.
You can't really go wrong with a 5150/6505 for metal. It's reasonabley priced compared to most high gain metal amps too

Although the 5150 is awesome check out some other amps too. Like the ENGL combo equivilent of the thunderball/powerball (forgot what it's called. They have awsome clarity for detuning. And if you want a really fithy sound try out a krank combo. I've never tried one but check out the Randall MTS series, i've heard some really good things about them
hmm I really love the tone of a Engl Blackmore haven't seen one for sale anywhere though, but that thing is a beast I am in love with its tone.
Quote by jdF250
I've got a Mesa Triple Rect. I'll trade ya.

I'll buy a 5150 and trade you if you're serious
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Didn't you say only combos?
Just wondering, because you said you were looking for the Blackmore.
oh I would love to own a blackmore
just love it, but for the moment(Unless i could find a blackmore for cheap) I just am looking at combos.
Yes i know a blackmore is only a head its like the only head i really want and would spend the extra cash for a cab, other wise I am looking at Combos.
Like there are a few heads I want real bad but, a combo is all I really need, you know what I mean.
Quote by Darkice
How does a 5150 compare to other tube amps for a metal tone at 600-700$

looking only at combos no Stacks they cost way to much and are over kill for my needs.

You could get a head and a 2x12 cab or something too. A head + cab is extra insurance for your tubes--that way the tubes are in the head and not getting abused in a combo speaker cabinet. Also, that gives you the ability to switch cabs in the future to upgrade and such while keeping the same head.
5150 is about as good as metal gets for that sort of price. the 60w combos are ballsy and they have reverb too. i find the clean channel a little more forgiving than the heads too in general.

cheaper still is a bugera? they are based on 5150 and 51502, and you can get them new. you wont get a new combo under a grand unless youre willing to get your knees dirty. ive heard good things about the bugeras though, and they do combos for both models
Quote by Darkice
hello?

im guessing he means "getting your knees dirty" meaning kissing a bit of ass or giving someone a hummer..hahaha
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
I have a 5150. The only downside about it is that it isnt the most versatile amp I've ever played. Its somewhat versatile, but if you're looking for versatility get somethin' else.