95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
As you can see (from my Sig) I'm an ESP guy so I'd usually always recommend ESP, especially over Epiphone. However; at what seems to your price range, i'd just get whatever is cheaper. None of the guitars are particularly good and are nothing more than starter guitars. Try not to overspend. If you aren't a beginner, then I would suggest neither of these and to continue saving until you can get a better instrument, ala the Viper-400.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II Vintage Black w/ EMG 60/81
ESP LTD EX-400 Black w/ EMG 60/81
ESP LTD EC-2005 Black w EMG 85/81

Amps:
Crate GLX1200 w/ 4x12 Slant CAB (only useful as a chromatic tuner)
Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech RP100
Quote by M3TALH3AD_DANNY
i dont really need a G-400 right now i actually just started playing in may 08 and right now i own a belle (you can see it in my gear on my profile) that i would love to sell and get some money to go to buying a new AXE!

Um... buy second hand, theres no point upgrading to an awful guitar
"It sounded so good and when i put it on a Line 6 Spider with a Zoom guitar efect petal it sounded so good" - Dean SplitTail review on musicians friend
i'd go with the sg, simply because i like them more then the vipers.they are effectivly the same style of guitar, what you really need to do is play them, witch you cant do, as they're on ebay. so yeah, i'd go epiphone.
Quote by M3TALH3AD_DANNY
oh ok never really thought about used, i'll look into my local cash converters (pawn shop) for an SG!

Save up 400, buy on ebay, and you can get a fantastic guitar...

Ive seen 400+ Series LTD's for 400 on ebay, and you can save shipping if you organise pickup, just set up ebay to only search for guitars within 75 km's of your house, then set a price range, and check for a couple weeks, you will find a bargin

Just have a look at the ESP and Ibanez websites, and to a lesser extent schecter and jackson, and find guitars you like etc etc

So set up ebay to check sellers nearby, and then find a bargain, organize pickup and save
"It sounded so good and when i put it on a Line 6 Spider with a Zoom guitar efect petal it sounded so good" - Dean SplitTail review on musicians friend
first of all, dont buy on ebay unless you play it first.

second... please DONT buy the epiphone, its a horrible horrible instrument. The esp on the other hand, is really quite nice.

seriously, the epi sg REALLY is a nasty, cheap guitar that doesnt play well.
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Quote by hippyheaven1
first of all, dont buy on ebay unless you play it first.

second... please DONT buy the epiphone, its a horrible horrible instrument. The esp on the other hand, is really quite nice.

seriously, the epi sg REALLY is a nasty, cheap guitar that doesnt play well.

im sure a 400+ series LTD is better then the v-10... and by doing pickup, he can test it out
Quote by M3TALH3AD_DANNY
So weve ruled out the epiphone for good, that leves the viper, i was wondering WHY the epiphone is so bad and also if i could customize the ESP to have 2 volume & 2 tones?

Dont buy it when you can have a guitar worth 3 times that...

Checking right now (i wont post ebay links)

but for 400 there is a cort with EMG 81 and 85, theres a jackson warrior with hardcase, and a epiphone bullseye with hardcore
I'll give a little advice based on the knowledge that I have of the two companies. I have never played an ESP/LTD that wasnt good, assuming you go for one of the mid to highrange models, I have no experience with the lower end ones. I own an Epiphone les paul classic from 2005 that is great quality and workmans ship, that being said I have HEARD that the new epiphone stuff minus the elitist and other higher end ones that they arent very good. I owned for a short time an epiphone SG G-400. It was aweful in every way sound and quality. Bubbles in the paint and marks on the fretboard, this could have been just an unlucky chance but thats what happened to me.

All in all I'd say if you are set on an SG style save up a little to buy new or use ebay for a Viper 400 or better. Also something to consider is musicians friend has a 30 or 45 day, I cant remember which, return policy so if you get it, save all he stuff it came in and if you don't like it you can return it. So if you are going to buy w/o playing, I think thats a good way to go

Sorry about the wall
My Setup:
Dean VMNT(Metallic Silver)
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

Sarcasm: Killing any chance you ever had at scoring this guitar, since 1895.

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!