so ok this thread is basically me asking whats the difference???

whats with people saying analog delay feels better than digital delay?

and are they really that different? meaning when people say..."yeah you need a digital delay to play paul gilberts echo song"...do they mean that u can only do it with a digital delay (he uses a boss dd3)? if so is the dd3 a tonesucker like the rest of the boss pedals?

Also i want everyone to write down what they think is their favorite delay pedal and why (and fight about it of course...this is ug after all).
You can use either of them but be aware that they DO sound different. I personally prefer digital delay as it sounds clearer and crispier, where as analog has a decaying sound that some ppl refer to as being more natural-sounding.

It's all up to you preference really. Some good delays are the EHX Memory Man, Boss DD7, Digitech Digidelay, MXR Carbon Copy, and Line 6 Echo Park Delay.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Oct 13, 2008,
Shreddies_1990,

*reported*

for being an idiot. If you have nothing good to contribute to a thread don't post at all please.

Analog dude... I don't even know the difference, all I know is digital stuff sounds like shit.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
Analog dude... I don't even know the difference, all I know is digital stuff sounds like shit.

Wrong, buddy. They have different tonal characteristics that may lead ppl to choose one over the other. You shouldn't say something as retarted as what you just said, especially after admiting that you don't even know the difference between each other.

Neither sound "sh*t." They're just different. Go out to a store and try them out to see if you can notice the difference in sound and see what you like. Also, you can go to youtube and look up at demos of each.

Quote by Jesstaa

Your an idiot. Not everything digital sounds shit. Not everything analogue sounds amazing

Quote by Ignite
I have no idea what the difference between a digital and analog delay, and have been wondering but haven't bothered to read up on it... If someone could explain, that'd be amazing.

Analogue uses lots of different components and stuff as well as analogue computer chips. Digital uses programmable digital computer chips and eliminates the need for a lot of the electrical components. (Which is why lots of digital stuff is smaller compared to analogue stuff).
they have different functions. digital is generally cleaner, whereas analog generally uses a little high end and is just a little... grainier. analog (generally) can't achieve delay times as long as digital delay, and also (unless you get something pretty expensive) don't have functions like tap tempo, which are extremely useful if you play in a band. if you want a gentle delay to add colour to your playing, an analog might suit you. if you want more complex, intricate delays in time with the music, then digital might be the best bet.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
analog delays are really warm and get more distorted/wobbly as they repeat.

digital delays sound 100% like the original note, really bright and they dont distort at all.

I'd say go for the boss dd-3 if its your first delay pedal, if you dont know the difference and dont care then it wont matter
For the purpose of not writing a book, Digital Delays generally don't sound as pleasing to the ear as analogue but they generally allow you to get more accurate timing if you're going for a timed delay effect.

i assume you're talking about solid state delays here, not tape echo loops
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
no i m not even gonna buy one i was just wondering and i guess its good for people that do wanna buy one if i was i d prolly get an MXR carbon copy, they look sweeeeeeet
Actually, i was considering a DD7.
It would be my first delay pedal....

Good choice , yes?
Quote by unet
Actually, i was considering a DD7.
It would be my first delay pedal....

Good choice , yes?

Yes. The DD-7 is a good pedal.
With that said, I chose the MXR Carbon Copy for my delay. If you have a chance to play one, give it a try, I liked it better than the DD-7. The Carbon Copy is an anolog delay, very nice sounding.
I believe that the difference between analog and digital is that analog repeats actually sound worse than the signal coming from the guitar. As an analog pedal echos, the quality of each repeat gets worse, creating a realistic decaying effect that is often preferable over the exact copies that a digital delay produces.
I remember reading about a certain famous analog delay (i can't remember which one) that had a component that would burn out after reapeated use, causing the delays to sound more distorted and grainier. I think this is the basic concept of most analog delays.

Personally I prefer digital delays because they are smaller, less expensive, have longer delay times, and functions such as reverse delay and loop modes. But analog pedals have that unique sound that feels like a real decaying echo.
audiophiles usually agree that the Empress Superdelay is the nicest delay pedal there is,,, however it's around $500, and that's pretty ridonculous. I have a Digitech Digidelay,,, and I really don't like it, but it does provide a reasonably faithful digital delay sound. When I get a new delay though I'm going analog,, probably a Malekko.

Quote by curlyhead_P

I remember reading about a certain famous analog delay (i can't remember which one) that had a component that would burn out after reapeated use, causing the delays to sound more distorted and grainier.

The first tape echo's had this kind of degeneration, I don't know that analog delays have a burn out.
Quote by rokket2005
audiophiles usually agree that the Empress Superdelay is the nicest delay pedal there is

Where did you get that from? If there's anything to be said about "audiophiles," it's that they can't agree on anything at all. Just because it's expensive and you've never played one doesn't mean that it's the best thing ever.
The Diamond Memory Lane, fulltone TTE, and Mad professor deep blue delay are all as good or better than the empress IMO.
There are great digital delays as there are awful analog delays, and just to the likewise as well...it comes down to what you are looking for...

How much time do you wnat?
Do you want frills like reverse delay, etc?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by Roc8995
Where did you get that from? If there's anything to be said about "audiophiles," it's that they can't agree on anything at all. Just because it's expensive and you've never played one doesn't mean that it's the best thing ever.
The Diamond Memory Lane, fulltone TTE, and Mad professor deep blue delay are all as good or better than the empress IMO.

I have played one,,, It is the best thing ever. I haven't played the diamond, though I do really like their compressors, and while fulltone are known as super awesome boutique pedals, they are mass produced in much the same way boss pedals are.
^Uh, not the TTE. Try one of those if you can. It's not really even a pedal, more like a tolex'd box stuffed with tubes and excellence. I don't like most of the fulltone line but the TTE is a completely different beast.
Digital can be programmed, and recalled. With Analog, you're stuck with the 1 setting unless you get down and twist knobs.

Digital has infinite repeats with clairity. Analog repeats get muffled with each repeat. Some like this sound.

I prefer the precision and programability of Digital. It comes off as more polished to me.