So i thought OD pedals were used to get tube amps to clip. If you used an OD pedal on a Solid State amp you would get horrible solid state clipping. Is this true?

My friend said he got a Zakk Wylde OD pedal and it sounds great through his Solid State amp.

So... Does an OD work well with SS amps?

This is probably a dumb question.
You could go ahead and use it but it won't sound anywhere near as good as with a tube amp. Don't recommend it for the OD sound, though i've heard that it can be used as a boost in SS amps.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
It'll just sound like light distortion
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by evening_crow
You could go ahead and use it but it won't sound anywhere near as good as with a tube amp. Don't recommend it for the OD sound, though i've heard that it can be used as a boost in SS amps.

Not quite.

you can use it as a small clean boost with the overdrive channel to emulate the effect of having higher output pickups (but don't do it too much otherwise you will overload the input and get that nasty transistor blast), or as a stand-alone overdrive on the clean channel. If you mix dirt from the amp with dirt from the pedal, you get sloppy mud.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
If you mix dirt from the amp with dirt from the pedal, you get sloppy mud.

Sometimes, but it also depends on the amp.

BTW, overdrive pedals function like any other analog distortion pedal. Most tube amp users turn the gain down and boost the level, increasing the signal strength into the amp, therefore getting tube distortion.

With an SS amp, you can do the same thing, but you won't get tube distortion. If you have a high headroom amp, it'd work as a clean boost.

On an SS amp, just roll down the level at noon or under, and balance it with the pedal gain, to emulate tube overdrive (but not really producing it.
If you plan on running an OD with SS you need to put it on the clean channel. Set all the knobs on the pedal straight up and tweak it from there.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
OD on SS clean channel will give you an OD sound, but not as good as on a tube amp. pretty much like someone already said- seems like a really light distortion/drive. i've done it a few times when i was just muckin' about. i was surprised at how not-bad it sounded...a lotta people on UG make it seem that puttin an OD on a SS amp will unleash the devil (in a bad way) but it seems to be a nice way to get a light rock sound out of an amp that has good cleans but crappy distortion.

of course i will always prefer natural sound of the amp w/ OD only as a boost/fattener
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
The premise of an OD pedal is to simulate a tube amp OD, not to boost the signal - that's what a boost pedal is for. If you have a quality SS clean amp and mate it with a quality OD pedal and keep the levels down on the pedal such that the signal will not clip the amp circuitry, you will get a very good tone.