hey guys! I´ve a Stratocaster and I play a lot of Muse! I want a humbucker bridge pickup that gives me that kind of tone!
What do you recommend checking out??
Thanks!
Matt uses Bareknuckles. Specifically Nailbombs, and custom wound humbucker sized P90s. The Nailbombs would definitely be a good place to start.
Can you be more specific? He's used a lot of different tones, and most of them have come from effects pedals and amplifiers more than his guitars per se.
What's so good about bareknuckles and why are they better than a reputable established company like dimarzio or sd?
Yes. He have many guitars too. I need a bridge humbucker to play that kind of style with that semi-heavy distortion and soft overdrive too. I´ve heard people talking a lot of Dimarzio and Seymour duncan... I just need some opinnions.
A friend of mine is getting a guitar built exactly to Matt's specifications. His Dad recently won the lottery. He's getting the khaos pad, leds, pickups etc. and he's never played any other guitar before. Ever. He also bought a £900 amp without playing it first
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
Probably he´ll never be a good musician... but ok. I need some opinions about Seymour duncan and dimarzio bridge humbuckers! What´s the best ones to Hard Rock?
Quote by injected
What's so good about bareknuckles and why are they better than a reputable established company like dimarzio or sd?

They're handmade with far higher quality components than the big companies. Until you've tried them yourself, it may seem hard to justify the price, but once you hear the difference, you'll get it. The clarity and sheer tone throughout the range is mindblowing.

FWIW the profit margin on BKPs is very small, he really couldn't charge any less or he wouldn't make any money at all. I can tell you that DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan humbucker costs about £2 or £3 to manufacture, about 15 times less than the material cost of a Bareknuckle pickup. Despite the cost of the raw materials literally doubling in the last few years, Tim has kept his prices the same, and taken the hit.
Quote by Nolly
They're handmade with far higher quality components than the big companies. Until you've tried them yourself, it may seem hard to justify the price, but once you hear the difference, you'll get it. The clarity and sheer tone throughout the range is mindblowing.

FWIW the profit margin on BKPs is very small, he really couldn't charge any less or he wouldn't make any money at all. I can tell you that DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan humbucker costs about £2 or £3 to manufacture, about 15 times less than the material cost of a Bareknuckle pickup. Despite the cost of the raw materials literally doubling in the last few years, Tim has kept his prices the same, and taken the hit.

What, you mean the type of magnets? Or the little screws? I fail to see what could justify it's new range of sound by replacing petty things.

But I don't know much about how pickups work either. How would upgrading the type of magnets or metal broaden the frequency spectrum of what you're outputting? Can I get a comparison demo or something?
Quote by injected
What, you mean the type of magnets? Or the little screws? I fail to see what could justify it's new range of sound by replacing petty things.

But I don't know much about how pickups work either. How would upgrading the type of magnets or metal broaden the frequency spectrum of what you're outputting? Can I get a comparison demo or something?

The quality of the magnets is part of it, also the wire that's used is extremely important, and gets very expensive as you get into the high-quality stuff. These things are far from petty - pickups are very sensitive devices, and very small changes in their construction make large changes to the signal they output.
It's not about broadening the frequencies as much as omitting the ones that are less pleasant sounding, and making sure that the ones that sound excellent make it through. In fact, a 100% efficient pickup would sound awful.

Comparison demos do exist, but it's extremely hard to convey the difference via clips. A recording cannot demonstrate the change in feel, which is a large difference between pickups. Also, pickups have to work with the guitar they're in, you can put the same pickup in two different guitars and end up with completely different results.