not get a spider 3 75watt??? He has about $900AUD to spend and he is hellbent on getting one of these POS pretty much just for the drum loop. I dont want to just say "dont get the amp you want cos it sucks" but i dont want him to waste his money when he could get a good tube amp like a VK or VC15????

Please be nice
say they are shit and i will personally hunt him down, steal his line 6 spider, sell it, buy a crowbar with the money and make sure it buries itself in his heart.
Quote by ClementWave
say they are shit and i will personally hunt him down, steal his line 6 spider, sell it, buy a crowbar with the money and make sure it buries itself in his heart.

Spiders are good for two things

Versitility. Its has lots of (crap) effects.
And Half decent cleans.

That's pretty much the only good things. Tell him to get a small watt tube amp. Tell him that Watts doesn't equal amazing tone. A blackheart or valve king would be good.
you don't wanna tell him the amp is crap??

seriously, he won't care if you tell him that. better you tell him now than him buying it and then finding out. Tell him that on paper it sounds like a great idea, but in fact Line 6 has never made anything worth buying.
Strats -> Twin = sexwaves
i really don't see the point of buying an amp just for the drum loops when.. if you already have a computer, you can easily download a freebie midi sequencer and get basically the same function.

i've seen a spider jam but never bothered to try one out for myself. people who have, told me that the backing tracks it has are very low quality and very glitchy.

having once played a spider III 150 watt combo for a long time trying to figure out why everyone hated it so much, i also realised that its because the tone seems good for about the period of time you'd be expected to try it out, then you get less and less satisfied with it until you hate it because its just so fake sounding.

Quote by single-coil

seriously, he won't care if you tell him that. better you tell him now than him buying it and then finding out. Tell him that on paper it sounds like a great idea, but in fact Line 6 has never made anything worth buying.

Wrong.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Oct 13, 2008,
Does he need an amp with gigging volume or does he want to use it as a practice amp for the drum loop? Tell him to get the new Roland Microcube RX. If he only wants the spider for practice, the microcube is portable, still has the drum loop and the amp models are way better than the spiders. He will probably only spend like $400 or so on it and have a great practice amp.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
just show him this thread.

I hate spiders because:
Digital
Doesn't take pedals good
overpriced
poor effects quality
and the electronics are horribly put together.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Cube 60

Just make sure you get in a told you you so or two if he buys it
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
If he buys it you should have a volume contest with him. When your Classic 30 starts breaking up and sounding Delicious and his spider starts sounding like a hippopotamus in heat then you can say "I Told you so"
Sig What?
Show him this thread.... and then if he STILL doesn't change his mind, let him... it's his fault anyways.
O O

___
cube or vox valvetronix if hes just starting out...if hes not i d recommend tube (depending on what he plays)
if he wants all that electronic stuff and effects, he should by a Roland Cube 60 or a Vox Valvetronix. But if he wants something that really sounds good, he should go for something tube. Maybe a Crate V50 (currently on sale at guitarcenter.com) or a Peavey Valveking if he needs some good distortion. If he mainly uses pedals or only needs good cleans, then a Fender Hot Rod might be a good choice.

Whatever the case, if he has 900AUD he better not waste it on a Spider. Of course, line six also makes higher end stuff that he might want to look into.
The Spiders ARE NOT COMPLETE SHIT.

if he's just starting out, they are excellent, due to the effects, amp models, and EQ.

There are downfalls, being the distortion does sound a bit digital, it DOES NOT take pedals well at all, and after 6 on the volume, the sound is really horrible. If he wants one, LET HIM GET IT!!! Dont make him change his mind if he really likes the Spider, thats just stupid

Also tell him to at least look into the Peavey Vypyrs, Cubes, Line 6 Flextones, etc.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
The Spiders ARE NOT COMPLETE SHIT.

if he's just starting out, they are excellent, due to the effects, amp models, and EQ.

There are downfalls, being the distortion does sound a bit digital, it DOES NOT take pedals well at all, and after 6 on the volume, the sound is really horrible. If he wants one, LET HIM GET IT!!! Dont make him change his mind if he really likes the Spider, thats just stupid.

I can respect this view, but the fact remains that either the Vox ADVT series or Roland Cube series sound better and are cheaper.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by single-coil

tell that to the people who use these floor pod and flextone. just because you don't like line 6 doesn't mean its written in stone that they are not worth buying.
Quote by Final !mpact
Spiders are good for two things

Versitility. Its has lots of (crap) effects.
And Half decent cleans.

That's pretty much the only good things. Tell him to get a small watt tube amp. Tell him that Watts doesn't equal amazing tone. A blackheart or valve king would be good.

another bandwagon uger. anyone who had owned or even used a spider can tell you the cleans are total crap. its the distortion that shines.

the spider is good for
1. built in tuner. i found it easier to use then most pedals.
2 good amount of distortion therefore making metalheads friendly
3. presets for easy setting switching.

the on board effects are alright. they are decent for the price. of course is going to sound like crap if you compare it to these 300 dollar rack units.
^ the clean sounds better than the distortion, imo. The distortion has NO crunch, and it's just very thin and steril.
And i use to own a Spider III. So i'm not just another banwaggon UGer.

The onboard effects are pretty okay, i'll agree with you on that.
O O

___
Sometimes its a waste of time to try to convince people of things. Let him buy it and he will think he has the baddest amp for a little while. Then the novelty will wear off or he will struggle trying to get good tone. Then he will ask why did you let me buy this thing. Dont say I told you so just ask him what his point is...ohh there it is on top of his head.
wow. you dont want to say that his amp sucks? you're a horrible friend. you're gonna let him waste money. literally throwing it down the drain. ripping it in pieces. iono, burning it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
tell him it's a shit amp is all you can really do. either that or have him play a bunch of different amps in his price range and have him choose from those.

if he's still set on the Line 6 then just let him buy it. sooner or later he'll realize what a mistake he made and how he just burned 900 on crap.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Just tell him that he should try it extensively and if he still likes it after that then buy it if he can still stand it. Also tell him at least to try other amps in his price range. Then show him the spider threads on here and maybe then he will listen.
burning 900 on a >75W SS amp is not very good value for money, especially when there are better options for the price. Make sure he doesn't spend it all on such an amp, so that in a few months when he wants a better tone tube amp he doesn't post another one of those threads titled "tube amp for metal under $500"
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.