This amp just rocks.

I got it off a swap for a refinished explorer that I swapped straight across for it. The guy that had it said that it'd been in his closet for years. Apparently a capacitor had gone bad and whoever repaired it didn't use the right schematic. I had it repaired and it still wasn't right. I was just using the clean channel with an amp modeling pedal so it didn't really affect me too much. It was still loud but the lead channel sounded awful.

If you ever do any reading about this amp there were 4-5 of revisions and for some reason you never know which one you have. There's no serial system so you can't really date the amp aside from whether it has tolex or carpet.

I kept reading about what a tone monster this amp is and I wanted to get away from that digital processor. Just run tubes and some effects. I found a guy locally that seems to know what he's doing because, OH man the amp sounds like a plexi now. I think that there's something still wrong with it the effects loop is pretty bad sounding and the reverb is on all the time, doesn't matter what the switch is doing. And the reverb is weak. I wouldn't think that this accutronics box would sound that bad.

Now I just need a good cab. Wish I could find one of those old Ampeg 412's. The tall one with the dolly on the bottom. I used to have one and wish I"d never swapped it.

The great thing about this amp, even though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a newer amp. It just sounds GOOD.

Post about your amp?!
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
I want one bad, but i just bought a tiny terror and there are none for sale in Aus, I love the vintages with the 6L6's over the EL's
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
x100bs rock.

I'd love to have one, but haven't seen any up for super cheap in a while
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 13, 2008,
I love the X100B. That thing could grind

I would like an X50B more though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
An Explorer? You got ripped off, however much you might like the amp.

Wait, I wasn't thinking. Was it an original or a reissue?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
An Explorer? You got ripped off, however much you might like the amp.

Wait, I wasn't thinking. Was it an original or a reissue?

It was refinished and the frets had been dressed so much that it was almost a fretless wonder. It was one of those guitars that after you get through playing you feel like you just went through a wrestling match.

I really want a new cab. That marshall AV series cab has GOT to go.

It would be better if I could find a band though.

PIC!
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Assorted Pedals and swag
yesss...the x100b is definitely a fine piece of machinery. mine's one of the ugly carpet-covered ones w/ el34's and no tube switching, and still has the mediocre ElectroHarmonix tubes that came in it - definitely in need of replacement at this point (and I'd welcome suggestions from anyone as to what to replace them with - I'm leaning towards the Mullard reissues at this point, but I am open to suggestion).

I play the carvin through a 4x12 carvin cab, circa 1982 or so. my other main head is a 1975 Hiwatt DR103, which I truly love and which can't be topped - but I can't justify the risk involved in taking an 1800 dollar head out to play in crap clubs. I wanted the x100b because I wanted something reliable that used a similar 4x EL34 tube configuration, and my x100b hasn't let me down...has great cleans like the hiwatt, pedal-friendly like the hiwatt, and while the (accutronics tank) reverb can't hold up against the springs in my old Ampeg V4, it still is plenty serviceable for noisy club gigs.

My only complaints about the Carvin to this point concern (what I consider to be) tonal inconsistancy vs. the Hiwatt...the tone color definitely changes a lot as the amp heats up over protracted playing. It doesn't get "bad" per se, just different. I suspect that a lot of this will disappear once it has decent 34s in it again, or at least I hope so. But on the plus side: It's built like a tank, it sounds great, it is VERY versatile tonally, and it is VERY vERY ****ing loud...I get a better Marshall sound out of it than a lot of Marshalls I've played through.

Every time I see one of those "which amp" threads drift by, I'm tempted to suggest this. The high-dollar boutique amps are nice and all, but really there's more tone and versatility in this beast than most guitarists will ever be able to take advantage of - and it's about $1500 cheaper. And you're not paying extra for tacky colored lights inside, ala H&K... a definite plus, saving money and not looking stooopid.
I don't know if you'll get results with the new tubes. My amp is fairly inconsistent in tone. Least on the drive channel. The clean channel is pretty consistent.

I find as it gets warmer I get a crisper more plexi tone from my lead channel.

Versatility abounds. I can dial in tons of tones. I just got rid of that CF7 and I didn't realize how much the digital pedal was effecting my signal. I really think that over the CE5 though. The Chorus factory sounds better. Just sucks I can't make it true bypass. Maybe if I'm a good boy santa will bring me an Analogman Clone Chorus with the effect level mod.

I'm currently using EL34L's by JJ/ Tesla tubes. My amp is supposed to take the 6L6's but I had it changed over to EL34's. As for preamp tubes. I'm using a combo of some JJ/ Tesla ECC83's and Electro harmonix 12AX7's. I've heard good things about RUBY TUBES. Though I don't feel like fooling around with preamp tubes right now. I considered the Mullards myself. Just make sure to get a balanced 12AX7/ ECC83 for the socket right behind the Output tubes. Thats the phase inverter and should be balanced. If ya didn't know. I didn't know about it and it makes a fair amount of difference.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Assorted Pedals and swag
Last edited by The_rylan at Oct 14, 2008,
I played the combo version. It is an amazing amp. I loved the clean channel on it. I wasn't too crazy about the overdrive. Amazing reverb. Alas, I didn't act in time and it sold. Great amp though.
I wish there was a place i could play one of these beasts.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
If I was playing in a working band and had the money I'd prolly upgrade to an Egnater. But they're $1500 and I just don't have the cash for that sort of thing.

What I'd really like is a small (5-15 watt) Versatile tube amp. Something I can get metal to funk to country tones from. I've been looking at the blackheart amps. But haven't decided.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Assorted Pedals and swag
Quote by kool98769
I wish there was a place i could play one of these beasts.

Cruise pawn shops. I've seen a couple in there. Given up by bad guitarists for coke, rent or otherwise.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Assorted Pedals and swag