Finally decided I'm going to give it a shot. Always wanted to play since I was a kid. I prefer classic rock (mostly AC DC), some older metal, and country as well. I was thinking of a Fender HSS Standard Strat and a FEnder Superchamp XD amp. Would this work for what I want to play? I don't mind spending a little but I don't want to break the bank, just starting out. Thanks.
Starting with an original Fender Strat? =o Kudos to you for having money. lol
I started with a Strat HSS, and I couldnt be happier: Very versatile, works for classic, heavy, blues, anything you want. As for amps, I'm no expert...
Strat is fine if you want country and yet that classic rock feeling. Could check Epiphone Les Pauls also. Not sure about the amp. I know the Fender Hotrod Deluxe (40W amp) is awesome for your needs but its 700$

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Hot%20Rod%20Deluxe%201x12%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amplifer_-1_10052_10002_-49986840_cmCategorySA-10001

The Big Muff pedal maybe for you. I don't have one but its said to enhance that classic rock sound we all got to love. ^^ Hope this helps.

Edit: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_USA%20Big%20Muff%20Fuzz%20Reissue%20Distortion%20Pedal_-1_10052_10002_-49960521_cmCategorySA-10001

^ That's the reissue one. It brings a fuzzier 70s sound which for stuff like Hendrix or Pink Floyd, it should own.
thats pretty high end stuff for a beginner. you could probably save a little on the guitar for now and go cheaper but as you progress youll start wanting a quality instrument. if you can afford it and youre confident enough youll stick with it i would go for it.
Quote by RR787
Strat is fine if you want country and yet that classic rock feeling. Could check Epiphone Les Pauls also. Not sure about the amp. I know the Fender Hotrod Deluxe (40W amp) is awesome for your needs but its 700$

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Hot%20Rod%20Deluxe%201x12%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amplifer_-1_10052_10002_-49986840_cmCategorySA-10001

The Big Muff pedal maybe for you. I don't have one but its said to enhance that classic rock sound we all got to love. ^^ Hope this helps.

Edit: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_USA%20Big%20Muff%20Fuzz%20Reissue%20Distortion%20Pedal_-1_10052_10002_-49960521_cmCategorySA-10001

^ That's the reissue one. It brings a fuzzier 70s sound which for stuff like Hendrix or Pink Floyd, it should own.

thats a bit much for an amp. 40 watts is a LOT. thats enough power to gig with and and also enough to get neighbors to call the cops if youre playing it at the volumes sweet spot. for a home practice amp to learn on if youre going tube (and please do because an amp thats not tube is like a guitar thats not wood) i would get the lowest wattage amp you like the sound of so you can crank it up into the sweet spot without waking the neighbors. those fender hybrids are nice amps and the built in effects will keep your gear aquisition syndrome at bay for a while. you might also want to check out a fender G-dec. theyre solid state so the sound isnt the greatest but it has a built in drum machine that is a huge help for practicing.
That's true. Thought too "overkill" on it.

the deluxe is totally awesome though. If need be, check the Fender Blues Jr. It's the 15W version for like 400ish$. Then again like stated, its pretty high end stuff for a beginner. If you have a passion for guitar, and the money to back it up, I'd say go for it, but I started with a no-name 5W amp and a low-quality Strat copy, then slowly made my way up.

Edit:http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Blues%20Junior%201x12%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amplifer_-1_10052_10002_-49984951_cmCategorySA-10001
Killer starter kit. If I was to get that to begin with, I would sound half decent and woud love to keep playing.

Get it!
Quote by Great Big
Finally decided I'm going to give it a shot. Always wanted to play since I was a kid. I prefer classic rock (mostly AC DC), some older metal, and country as well. I was thinking of a Fender HSS Standard Strat and a FEnder Superchamp XD amp. Would this work for what I want to play? I don't mind spending a little but I don't want to break the bank, just starting out. Thanks.

look like a good versatile combo to get ya started. good luck!!
I'd go with the strat or maybe an agile from www.rondomusic.net

As far as an amp goes, you're going to want to go with a tube amp for the classic rock and country. something like a blackheart should suit you nicely. A distortion pedal will really help bring the amp up to play metal as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'd go with the strat or maybe an agile from www.rondomusic.net

As far as an amp goes, you're going to want to go with a tube amp for the classic rock and country. something like a blackheart should suit you nicely. A distortion pedal will really help bring the amp up to play metal as well.

the super champ is a tube amp.
An HSS fender strat and superchamp xd is a great starter setup. Go for it.
Quote by mmjohn
the super champ is a tube amp.

From what I can tell is it's a modeler, just like the spider valve, dunno the quality of the sound though.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
From what I can tell is it's a modeler, just like the spider valve, dunno the quality of the sound though.

different voicings.....2 6v6 and 1 12ax7.........great for someone starting out.
Quote by MESAexplorer

They sound pretty good, better than most of the amps in the price rage, in my opinion, of course.

I'd say go for it, that guitar and amp combo is brilliant for a beginner, and hell, it's bloody good for an intermedite guitar player! Maybe an OD pedal for some hard rock-y tones, but it's good.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Get an acoustic to learn on. Seriously. Then when you go to electric it is so much easier with no dud notes. Electrics help hide your mistakes
Quote by MESAexplorer

quality is great.. i have one and its beautiful.

You can either use the tube sound by itself, for natural tube cleans, or switch over to the gain channel and there's different voicings to use. Makes it a very versatile amp. Very good amp dude, you should have it for years
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"