Hello i know it might sound stupid but, ive been talking to a friend of mine who started playing bass in may 2008 about making a jam.. But i dont know how a jam session is supossed to be? i know that on does the rythm and one the melody(soloing) but thats it!! or do we jam to some song if so what good songs are good to jam ?

Thanks!!
My rig:::::
Epiphone les paul standard
Peavey classic 30
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-7
Metal Muff
There's no specific way to jam man, you just kinda get together and **** around on your instruments for while. it's really a natural thing that just happens.
Quote by GNiCk89
The other day my girlfriend called me a pedophile.

I said, "Damn, that's a big-ass word for an 8 year-old."
jamming is just playing some songs together(right?)
If i jam i play to one-metallica,sweet child o mine,Iron man and sum steve vai like bad horsie etc.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Do you have a drummer of some kind... someone who can keep the rythm alive...

It's very easy to jam with a standard blues pattern. For example:

A - A - D - A - E - D - A
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
or if the bassist does dig the blues, just an easy 3 chord song you should be able to play together on

im a firm believer of learning how to play your instrument before you try to play it with other musicians
If you both like the same music, tell him to memorize songs a, b, and c.

I've only had one jam session with a really good bassist. He gave me black metal bass lines and I was mostly improvising solos along blues scales.
Just throw a few ideas together, play some songs that you like, don't take it seriously. **** sake, surely it's not that hard to figure what 'jamming' means?

The idea is just to play something cool and enjoy it, regardless of how good it is.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Easy.

1. Go to the practice space.

2. When everyone gets there, start playing something.

3. Others join in.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
There are no rules for jamming. For example, a friend of mine is also my suitmate, so we get together twice or so a week to jam together (both of us play guitar and bass). Usually we both play guitars, rhythm and lead. What we do is one of us makes up a riff, and the other one solos over it in the same key. Then we switch up. Or we play a backing track and take turns soloing. IMO its a great way to practice composition, phrasing and aerial training because you can hear on the spot what idea works and what doesn't. Unfortunately he's more of a blues man and slow playing (think pink floyd style soloing and hendrix rhythm) while I'm an all out thrasher (think slayer rhythm with marty friedman's soloing). Basically I look for complexity in my soloing while he looks for simplicity, we we end up wasting first 10-15 minutes playing shit that just doesn't make sense, if you were in the room you'd think we're tone deaf. But as we play together more we usually end up with damn good ideas by the end of the jam session. It really is a natural thing, both of you will need to adjust to each others style before you can produce anything listenable.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
or if the bassist does dig the blues, just an easy 3 chord song you should be able to play together on

im a firm believer of learning how to play your instrument before you try to play it with other musicians

Yeah i know how to play my instrument but this will be the first time playing with other musicians

Me and my friend have the same tastes so i think we will do same blues impro!!and just jam to some classic rock tunes like rock n roll by led zeppelin is it a good song to jam?ill find out saturday xD

thanks to all
Peavey classic 30
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-7
Metal Muff
If your into Zeppelin, jamming to Tangerine is a lot of fun. Same with Since I've Been Loving you (with your own solo of course).

Tangerine = G major

Since I've Been Loving You = C minor
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Jamming is so essential because it is from jams where music is born and like sometimes I meet my band mates, jam along a bass line the bassist composed in the week or through a riff I did and we just keep going around leads and stuff.

Another way of jamming when you have like two guitar players or something like that is you say a song which has what Jazz musicians call a 'vamp' (which is like a progression of chords or a riff) and you take turns to solo over it.

I prefer the first way because I have a good bassist and a good drummer and we've been playing for a while so our chemistry is great. Rhythmically we are great and the musical changes we apply are also great (like changes in speed, song transitions), but if you are just a couple of friends that want to jam just pick a couple of classic songs like 'Purple Haze' or 'Sunshine of your love' and jam along them while you practice your soloing.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Quote by The_Sophist
If your into Zeppelin, jamming to Tangerine is a lot of fun. Same with Since I've Been Loving you (with your own solo of course).

Tangerine = G major

Since I've Been Loving You = C minor

Thanks for your sugestions

To Pepefloydean :

yeah hes bassist so im gonna probably do what you said (jam along a bass line that he wrote ) and jam to some classic rock songs! thanks for you suggestions too :P
Peavey classic 30
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-7
Metal Muff
simply get together...choose a key to play an improvisation and just plaay whatever your heart desires. one of the funnest things to do haha its also a rele good way to get new ideas and practice something youve been struggling with. just relax and have fun