I'm trying to get a good mic instead of using my crappy headset mic all the time. Anyone know of a good mic with good sound quality that could work recording an electric guitar amp? Please don't tell me about some extremely high-priced microphone, I can't afford too much. Also, can you explain how to use the cables - as in plug the cable from the mic to the tiny microphone jack.
Simply put - it's utterly pointless.

The audio interface on your laptop will be poor to say the least. I'd recommend getting something like a Toneport (there are cheaper ones) first, and living with line in recordings until you can get a mic separately.
So what is your budget?
The SM57 by Shure is a nice $100 mic and great for many uses. It's also low in price which is nice.

I HIGHLY suggest some type of audio interface though...even if its a small unit like an EMU 0202 USB or M-Audio Fast Track USB. If you have Vista, go with the M-Audio brand as they have the stable drivers.

The line6 Toneports are ok for a budget setup but there are other products that sound better for a little higher price. You could probably get your hands on the Toneport GX without much problem. You will need an XLR - TRS cable to plug a mic into that though.
Once again, if you have vista go with M-Audio, the Toneports don't like vista much last time I tried...
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 13, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
So what is your budget?
The SM57 by Shure is a nice $100 mic and great for many uses. It's also low in price which is nice.

I HIGHLY suggest some type of audio interface though...even if its a small unit like an EMU 0202 USB or M-Audio Fast Track USB. If you have Vista, go with the M-Audio brand as they have the stable drivers.

The line6 Toneports are ok for a budget setup but there are other products that sound better for a little higher price. You could probably get your hands on the Toneport GX without much problem. You will need an XLR - TRS cable to plug a mic into that though.
Once again, if you have vista go with M-Audio, the Toneports don't like vista much last time I tried...

My budget is somewhere around $100
Both the 57 and 58 are basically the same although the 57 is more commonly used on guitars.
Thing is they both need a lot of gain from a preamp to work and so plugging them into your computer sound card most likely wont work.

You could try a cheap preamp such as the $30 ART Tube MP. That's the cheapest preamp out there today that I know of and will work well with your setup.
Mic - preamp - sound card in laptop

You will get latency with this setup and so layering any parts will be very hard to do so if you can, it would be better overall to save up some more cash over a few months or whatever until you can get yourself an interface.

Another way you could go to hold you over if you MUST record now is with a cheap condenser USB mic such as the Samson C03U. It's nothing outstanding but works.

Recording isn't cheap nor should you cheap out on gear because that's where the quality is...
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 13, 2008,
^^ Could'a just edited your post... ahh well.

Urrm don't know about the Yamaha tbh, you can't really go wrong with a Shure SM57 though, so long as you can get an Audio Interface, as has been suggested. Maybe wait a bit until you can afford both?
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R