Im really feeling stuck at a rubbish level of guitar skill, i desperatly want to get better, but am really struggling. I can lay down a rythm no probs, but when it comes to soloing or playing something flashy i suck, im 25 btw. I got this video from someelse question and there was this guy talking about "hearing the rythm in the solo" and it was some pretenious long haired frizzy guy with a jackson kelly! so.... my plans are to get some drum tracks at different tempos (metronome stlye) to do speed training, im trying to get the modal scales cracked, and am very close got a good understanding of it, i also plan to crack arpeggios i got a load of stuff on them, also i plan to record some rythems to practice soloing, is there anything else i need to do? i know theres no magic answer to become a gutiar wizard and its just persisitance and patientce and pratice pratice practice, ne advice would be good!
learn to sweep. then ur officially advanced. learn vela, together we await the storm by the human abstract. or alaska by between the buried and me
Pretentious frizzy haired guy with a Jackson Kelly...
Marty Friedman?

Get Troy Stetina's "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar".

Also, check out this site, and practice perfectly! I know you already know, but, as Troy Stetina once said: "Practice doesn't make perfect, but PERFECT practice makes perfect"

check out these site too once you're adept at soloing:
http://www.jazzguitar.be/modi_2.html
http://www.cyberfret.com/

Also, once you've learned a few things from those places, write your own solos (I compose mine on Powertab), make sure they're difficult, but not impossible, then learn them. THEN..... write an impossible solo and learn it.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Oct 13, 2008,
cool will defiantely do those things, i like between the buried and me, and ill learn the other tracks for the sake of it cheers
Quote by Sadistik
learn to sweep. then ur officially advanced.

Please don't listen to this
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Wait, you're terrible at soloing so you plan to learn to play fast?

Then you'll just sound bad really fast.

What you need to do is get comfortable with playing in key across the neck, and phrasing well. That's all music theory and is covered in various stickies in this forum and in my sig.
Wait, you're terrible at soloing so you plan to learn to play fast? Then you'll just sound bad really fast.

Wait, u cant understand basic sentance structure? and u attempt to be rude to me? then ull just sound like a fool, really fast. For a start i do want to learn to play fast, but not until i get my phrasing, scales and arpeggios down, cheers for the help tho.
Git
Quote by bomernee
Wait, u cant understand basic sentance structure?

It's very difficult to understand sentences that lack grammar. Formulate a coherent sentence, and you just may get some help.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Freepower
Wait, you're terrible at soloing so you plan to learn to play fast?

Then you'll just sound bad really fast.

What you need to do is get comfortable with playing in key across the neck, and phrasing well. That's all music theory and is covered in various stickies in this forum and in my sig.

When he says 'solo' he really means 'play fast'. You know, what most unmusical, wanna-be-showoffs think.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Bomernee, I think hearing the "Rhythm in the Solo" means something like phrasing your notes on the beats to make it more interesting. It's sounds cool to experiment on phasing your notes on the upbeats instead of the usual downbeats. When I started playing solos, I wanted to get a sequencer so I can try out new scales and modes on top of a progression so I bought a cheap drum machine with presets that i can jam over. Its so much fun cuz it's like a band in a box and you can play for hours. But I have to stress that practicing with a metronome by itself will make your playing better...... So it's you, on a guitar with a clean channel just clicking your scales and modes, making sure they are accurate and clean. When you mastered that scale or mode you can increase the tempo. After slaving away on a metronome you can jam over the backing tracks with the mode or scale you have practiced and it will sound really good.
As some guitar genius once said 'Speed is the consequence of good technique'.

Practice with this quote as your law because it is actually true, if you reach a good level of technique then your problem is solved. If you are practicing a riff or a lick and you got it nailed at 100bpm which is a slow or moderate speed, you can raise it up to 180bpm easily because you've achieved a complete knowledge of the movement.

Make your guitar practicing a training.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Make your guitar practicing a training.

I always try to! i am definately going to get on the old metronome, always seem such a chore tho! Cheers guys