So I hope I can redeem myself with this one haha. The reason I call it progressive is cuz I experimented with different time sigs and chord progressions and exotic scales/melodies. This is also one of my fav songs I've done, although it feels kind of short, but I didn't want to drag it on so yeah. Anyways, I hope you guys like it. I'll do c4c also when I get time to return crits.
Attachments:
Tears of Helios.zip
You're really into that gaming sort of metal eh...

Nice, atmosphere-ish.
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
I gotta say, its really impressive, I haven't finished listening to it yet... but its pretty tight.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
ohh shit this is great 10/10
the chorus part is absolutely drags you into the music, and the bridge after it with the 16th-s it rules, i say. trashy part after it, it's really like cradle of filth the whole song reminds me of the mixture of steve vai and cradle some parts in it i feel like its the "building the church" track from vai. pretty goood ^^tapping solo owns. i really liked the whoole song

c4c ty

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=977586
This is really good. The only thing I want to complain about is the drums, they were really nice sometimes but I think you overused the open hi-hat and the double bass. If you varied the drums more it would be a top-notch song.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by tincsi666
ohh shit this is great 10/10
the chorus part is absolutely drags you into the music, and the bridge after it with the 16th-s it rules, i say. trashy part after it, it's really like cradle of filth the whole song reminds me of the mixture of steve vai and cradle some parts in it i feel like its the "building the church" track from vai. pretty goood ^^tapping solo owns. i really liked the whoole song

c4c ty

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=977586

This is so much better than steve vai and cradle, never heard anything like it on ug. Im loving the eastern influence. 10/10
Nice job, you seem to be back on track.

This song was one of my favorite types of prog metal; not too over the top, but still sorta technical, and just interesting. The whole thing actually reminded me of Pain of Salvation, with heavier parts from Pagan's Mind (Up through the chorus was all perfect Pain of Salvation esque prog metal, then Verse B through Verse D was Pagan's Mind. The solo was a bit of both though. ).

In short, I liked all of it. The only thing that would make it better would be if the drums were better, more interesting, etc. They're way too quiet, and not varied enough.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Loved the intro. Very atmospheric.

Everything up to the chorus was REALLY good, couldn't really find anything bad about it... Then the chorus was just ****ing amazing.

Have you ever heard "Cerebral Prog Metal" by BR00TAL? It was posted here on UG a while ago, the second half of Proggy Goodness sounded a bit like it.

Checked the thread, yes you have heard it.

Yeah, pretty good song, although I imagine it would get boring after a few listens. Vocals would probably fix that. The drums were alright, nothing special though.
Needs some good old closed hi hats, and some good ol' synthless riffs. I liked Verse A the most, followed by the outro chorus.
lol its like a video game song its so WWWWWWEEEEEEEIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDD and bad
nice to see you going for actual prog elements now instead of the melodic death kinda stuff you were doing before. liked the use of 7/8 in the song, but you should try experiement with some other timings

the atmosphere you built up was awesome with the synth and acoustic riffs, and the lead lines were fantastic, although i feel ive heard that chorus melody lol, in a song at the end of a batman film from about 7 or 8 years ago, cant remember the actual song name or band tho.

great change into the more brutal styled riffs after that chorus, smooth transition. and then into more 7/8 and used well, keeps it interesting. solo is awesome as usual, you excel at solos as always.

one thing is ive only heard you record 1 of your songs ever, are you ever gonna use these songs and record them?

mind checking out my song, yet again ive changed styles and this is one i seem to write good and probably the best start ive made.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=979603

Quote by RedDeath9

Have you ever heard "Cerebral Prog Metal" by BR00TAL? It was posted here on UG a while ago, the second half of Proggy Goodness sounded a bit like it.

holy shit i knew that sounded familiar, BR00TALs stuff is amazing
right, sorry this has taken a little longer than i intended, anyway:

First off, I really like the way you've changed styles - your old stuff was very good but I admire the way you're looking forward and adapting

Intro: The use of 7/8 is very good, but I always find it's a time sig that's best used as a one bar change (e.g. a bar of 4/4 then one 7/8) - it sounds very good though, especially with the jazzy intro solo thing. Some very nice tones you found in that passage as well. Great start.

Acoustic: This is alright but I feel you could have found some stronger cadences with the acoustic guitar. It's good but there are times where I really wanted to hear it going a slightly different direction.

Melody: This is bloody brilliant. I like the way you use major chords underneath, but obviously it'll be difficult finding a decent tone with distortion. Surprisingly, the worst part of this in my opinion was the quick sweep-tapping bit - it just sounded sort of out of place.

Chorus: Beautiful. Nothing I'd even contemplate changing. As someone else mentioned, the melodies are awesome, and I really like the rhythm section here as well - slight hint of chromatic usage really leads into the next passage well.

Verse B: Great riff as always. Good keys use as well. The harmonic minor use is quality (at least i think that's what you've gone for!). Also the symphony x style key change fits perfectly. No complaints here.

Proggy Goodness: This is the one section i'm not a huge fan of. Whilst the 7/8 worked ok in the intro, here I just don't think it works - at least in the first part. You need to mix it with either 4/4 or 3/4. From 162 is good though. Tapping part is immense as always

Verse A: Good to see this come back, it's a nice refreshing switch, and transitions beautifully into the last chorus. Can't help but feel you need some piano arpeggios over it just before you fade out though.

Yeah mate, it's very good, and I like the direction you're taking. Only a few minor niggles (have a look at the song Paradise Lost by Symphony X to work out what I mean by alternating time sigs - it's very difficult but I'm sure you'll get it!) Good effort