i have an old broke (at the moment) yamaha strat style guitar

i am going to fix it but i wantr to customise it a bit aswell

it is plain blue with a white pickguard one volume, one tone and HSS pickups standard strat style ... white.

i am thinking of replacing the pickguard with a black one, installing a killswitch and a coil splitter for the humbucker. I know the killswitch is easy...but how difficult is the coil split?

aswell as this how difficult is changing the pickup covers say from white to black, i know i can buy black covers for the single coil but i havent seen any for the humbucker. Any tutorials ideas for how to change this because all the pickups in white with a balck pickguard looks a bit funny, might have a pattern with say just one white in the middle but i haven't decided yet.

So basically... how can you change the pickup covers (including humbucker) and how do you make a coil split (im not ENTIRELY sure is this just making the humbucker a single coil with a switch for different tones)
You can buy a new pickguard with new pickups installed, if one of those suits you.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
You can buy a new pickguard with new pickups installed, if one of those suits you.

i don't really have much money so i would rather keep the old pickups and buy the approx £5 pickup covers
Check out the Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams here and in particular this one.

It shows a SD HB in a HSS configuration wired for coil-splitting. (The wiring colours may well be different for your pickups mind.)

I've only used HB's with 4wire to coil-split and I've no idea (well some idea = not) if a single wire HB could be split.

If you take your pickguard off and look at the wires coming from the HB you'll see if its single or 4wire. If it's 4wire then two of the wires will most likely just be joined together (soldered/twisted/taped whatever) these are the wires that go to the switch. Usually a push/push or push/pull switch on the tone or vol pots. This switch puts 1 of the 2 HB coils out of the circuit (coil split = single coil in circuit).

So all you need is a switch to connect/disconnect these wires if its a 4wire HB. Normally a vol or tone pot with a built in switching mechanism but if you're drilling for a killswitch you could just use 2 toggle switches for them both to save money and soldering dramas.

Hope that helps you some.
Quote by bellerophon
Check out the Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams here and in particular this one.

It shows a SD HB in a HSS configuration wired for coil-splitting. (The wiring colours may well be different for your pickups mind.)

I've only used HB's with 4wire to coil-split and I've no idea (well some idea = not) if a single wire HB could be split.

If you take your pickguard off and look at the wires coming from the HB you'll see if its single or 4wire. If it's 4wire then two of the wires will most likely just be joined together (soldered/twisted/taped whatever) these are the wires that go to the switch. Usually a push/push or push/pull switch on the tone or vol pots. This switch puts 1 of the 2 HB coils out of the circuit (coil split = single coil in circuit).

So all you need is a switch to connect/disconnect these wires if its a 4wire HB. Normally a vol or tone pot with a built in switching mechanism but if you're drilling for a killswitch you could just use 2 toggle switches for them both to save money and soldering dramas.

Hope that helps you some.

yeah i'll probabaly just use micro toggle switches for coil splitting and activating neck pickup (extra combinations) and a momentary switch for killswitch.

i was thinking a killswitch between the two pots (yamaha pacificas hav 1 vol 1 tone quite far apart so killswitch would be where other tone would be on regular strat) not sure where to put two micro switches though

EDIT: my bad forgot to say thanks
No problem glad I could help.

I don't use a killswitch but woudn't it be better placed forward of the selector switch for quicker access? Then you could fit the toggles in the space between the vol and tone if you wanted. Your guitar though so do whatever feels best to you!

(I'm looking at my strat trying to decide the best way but all I can think of is how dusty the poor thing is! )
Quote by bellerophon
No problem glad I could help.

I don't use a killswitch but woudn't it be better placed forward of the selector switch for quicker access? Then you could fit the toggles in the space between the vol and tone if you wanted. Your guitar though so do whatever feels best to you!

(I'm looking at my strat trying to decide the best way but all I can think of is how dusty the poor thing is! )

haha fair enough, i'll see lol