Holy shit it's going to suck to have to switch. I always had it between thumb and index fingerprint. It's a lot harder to tremolo pick that way, so I'm switching to the thumb +side of index... Feels awkward, how long should this be?
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
It'll be like that until you get used to it. It's different for everybody.

I pick the guitar the correct way anyways so I never had that issue.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
uhhhhh..... there is no correct way to hold a pick its what ever ur comfortable with. the side of ur index finger way is just a standard of what most people do
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
What? i thought you use the flat of the finger!
MY WHOLE LIFE IS A LIE!
Yeah i finally got round to all this, so, what shall i put here?

*insert hillarious ego boosting qoute here*

THE GAME
you just lost it
Quote by gstacey1
uhhhhh..... there is no correct way to hold a pick its what ever ur comfortable with. the side of ur index finger way is just a standard of what most people do

There's a correct way to pick, just like there's a correct way to fret. If people don't want to do the correct way, that's fine, but lame guitar teachers will be all over your technique like white on rice.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
jep, the only right way is your way. you've got to hold your pick the way you like it.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by gstacey1

Yes but for the Crazy train riff with all the chugging palm muted notes, it's like I don't even have to try, using my old way of playing, it was hard to do that. But now I can't even play some of them solos(SWTH one >_> ) .
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
My homie would use his thumb and the side of his "fuck you" finger.
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
There is a correct way due to a lot of techniques being based around the way you hold it
Manchester United
Last edited by Shabalaba at Oct 13, 2008,
Quote by GNiCk89
My homie would use his thumb and the side of his "fuck you" finger.

Hey bro, your bro watches too much Van Halen maaaaaaan. Why does he have to be coppin' his style duuuuude?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Hey bro, your bro watches too much Van Halen maaaaaaan. Why does he have to be coppin' his style duuuuude?

I didn't know Van Halen did that. Interesting

Making fun of my mannerisms eh?
Quote by herby190

Quote by theking182

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
took me about a week to get used to it
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
whatever way you are comfortable is best. IF you find that you need to adjust it based on your own thoughts and feelings, thats fine, but dont change your style because someone tells you to.

look at marty friedman for god sake. amazing guitarist, picks like a down syndrome kid.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by GNiCk89
I didn't know Van Halen did that. Interesting

Making fun of my mannerisms eh?

Muuuuundo bro.

I was moreso making fun of your 'green' theme.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
yeah I have been doing it that way too but it was really easy to switch I think it was almost instant for me but it didn't really improve my picking a lot. So I say do whats most comfortable.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Quote by nvranka
whatever way you are comfortable is best. IF you find that you need to adjust it based on your own thoughts and feelings, thats fine, but dont change your style because someone tells you to.

look at marty friedman for god sake. amazing guitarist, picks like a down syndrome kid.
+1,000,000
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Muuuuundo bro.

I was moreso making fun of your 'green' theme.

Mmhm

It's an attention-grabber
Quote by herby190

Quote by theking182

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Quote by GNiCk89
Mmhm

It's an attention-grabber

Evidentally.

Well your Canadian buddies agree.

TS, just try to get used to it slowly, don't force it or you'll get frustrated.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by AlucardZero
Holy shit it's going to suck to have to switch. I always had it between thumb and index fingerprint. It's a lot harder to tremolo pick that way, so I'm switching to the thumb +side of index... Feels awkward, how long should this be?

That's pretty much how
I've always held a pick that way, it's never caused me any problems.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Isn't the idea that you pick from the wrist so as long as its either in your first or second finger and gripped well its fine?
Usually I hold my pick between the thumb index's side. My teacher told me when I first started learning that you should hold it with your index pretty much closed. Since then I've always played with it opened about halfway.

Do whatever feels comfortable, if you played with your thumb and pinkie and it was comfortable, that'd be fine. Might be a bit hard though...
I just started switching a little more then a month ago.
Now the way I use to do it feels weird, and the way I'm doing it now is very comfortable. It wont take to long.
I switched my picking technique after nearly 20 years and it has helped a little but not that much, I used to hold the pick with 3 fingers. Paul Gilbert switched to the way you are suggesting after 8 years, didn't do him any harm at all so persevere!
There is no "correct" way.

Eddie Van Halen uses his thumb and middle finger.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!