Hey everybody. I've been playing guitar for a little over a year now. My playing ability is pretty much what I would consider appropriate for that level of experience. I own two guitars and I tend to keep them both tuned differently. I often leave one in standard tuning because so many songs use it. The other I vary depending on what I want to play.

My "downtuning" guitar is all set up to play in Drop D, Drop C, etc. It has larger gauge strings, all that. As I am self taught, I really enjoy the different patterns and mini-solos I can build out of the scales I know and hearing the differences between them from one tuning to the next. This week I've been playing with half-step-down tuning (D# G# C# F# A# D#). This morning I looked up "Die Die My Darling" by Metallica and was able to learn it pretty solidly in a short amount of time. I've also got the tab for "Raining Blood" and, while I can't play this one all the way through at the moment, the parts of it that I can play sound pretty good.

I'm wondering what other songs that are appropriate for my skill level (read: not too high) are in this half step down tuning. I know there's a big database of beginner songs and I've looked through it (and even contributed some stuff to it) but I didn't see much in this tuning. Since this is the one I'm trying to get a feel for, I'm wondering what else I can do with it.

I've experimented with the few chords that I know just to see how they sound in this tuning. I've also messed around with the two scales that I know in this tuning too and the different sound is interesting. I am probably going to keep this guitar tuned this way for a little while so I'm trying to find something to do with it.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
I play only in E flat tuning (half step down) so I can suggest you a few bands try some Blind Guardian, Edguy, Guns N' Roses, Hammerfall and Sonata Arctica. I play some Sentenced in E flat tuning too, but they are in D tuning.
Sad but True - Metallica
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Eb tuning (which is half-step-down) is the same as standard so...
Everything you can play in standard. Even if you explicitly wanna play with the songs, many bands vary the same song by playing it in E or Eb once. Best example 'd be nothing else matters I guess?
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
i cum blood

no, seriously

STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
basically Slayer i would say in Eb tuning, but also Metallica stuff from Load and Reload
Freedom Call and Blind Guardian have some songs in Eb if you are into power metal,
just thought about Reckoning Day by Megadeth that's easy and in Eb tuning start off with that
I'm pretty sure Bloodmeat by Protest the Hero is half step down. There's even a guitar world interview and tab over youtube .
bands/artists I've seen: Protest the Hero, LIGHTS, Andrew Bird, Flight of the Conchords, Incubus, Nine Inch Nails, Between the Buried and Me, Guthrie Govan, Cynic, The Devin Townsend Project, Scale the Summit, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Darkest Hour
I love Eb tuning.

Paul Gilbert
Jimi Hendrix
SRV
Andy Timmons
Guns and Roses
Some Testament
A bunch of Alter Bridge is Drop D (but a 1/2 step down)

Little Wing is a great standard to learn. Electric Gypsy & Gone by Andy Timmons are also great tunes.
most songs by rise against.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Almost easy by avenged sevenfold (freakin awesome song)
Most songs by Paramore (try pressure and emergency)
Milkshake by goodnight nurse
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
Iced Earth, Yngwie Malmsteen, Blind Guardian, Cannibal Corpse, Candlemass, Morbid Angel
Since you like Metal, A Tout le Monde by Megadeth is easy but it is sort of a ballad. Fun solo though.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott