Can someone suggest some good metal styled chords other than the basic power chords
power chords.
Rlly, real chords (3 notes or more) don't rlly go well with metal I think. Not that I'm an expert on metal but when you use major distortion letting notes ring and playing too many notes gets messy quickly. If you want more than power chords play other genres I'd say.
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
Emperor and Necrophagist (among many, many others) use some lovely dissonant sounding chords. Check them out.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
or just get pickups that have good clarity in high distortion situations so you can play 4+ notes per string and still hear them all. i really like duncans distortion clarity, look into some high output passive pickups. i have an alternative 8 in a les paul (an infamously dark, warm, and muddy guitar) and i can play and open e chord with full gain and maintain note clarity. the old burst bucker couldn't even handle an open powerchord without bottoming out the low end.

a tighter frequency inducter (pickup) will maintain much more clarity if it can handle all the frequencies well on the input side rather than forcing the speakers to compensate for a weak signal
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
dimminished chords/scales/ progressions

or things with tritones etc.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Quote by CvPrEpKiLLaH
or just get pickups that have good clarity in high distortion situations so you can play 4+ notes per string and still hear them all. i really like duncans distortion clarity, look into some high output passive pickups. i have an alternative 8 in a les paul (an infamously dark, warm, and muddy guitar) and i can play and open e chord with full gain and maintain note clarity. the old burst bucker couldn't even handle an open powerchord without bottoming out the low end.

a tighter frequency inducter (pickup) will maintain much more clarity if it can handle all the frequencies well on the input side rather than forcing the speakers to compensate for a weak signal

you can't play more than 1 note per string per time
If you meant per chord, a 5-note chord is something I haven't ever heard of. It's 3 or 4.
And if you play full chords, you'll start playing different genres anyway soon.
I do agree with the other guy on the dissonant chords, that could indeed be very metalish
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
learn music theory

as much as i used to struggle, it just helps you so much

but for examples

minor chords obvi

diminished stuff especially, gives an evil or erie mood

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
I'm not a theory expert (yet) but learn an odd sounding scale such as minor harmonic and construct chords from that.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Dean Performer DSE
Vox AD30VT
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Sixth chords and inverted chords (ie Lamb of God) work well as well and 9th chords(ie Unearth) Necrophagist doesn't use many diminished fifth/ augmented fourth chords really, but they do jam out in melodic and harmonic minor a lot. Root 5 chords are good too. If you need me to delve more into that just PM me and I'll give you plenty of examples.

I swear to you, real chords are made for metal, otherwise you wouldn't have dual harmonies flourishing in metal so strongly. . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Last edited by notsee at Oct 13, 2008,
A lot of diminished.
Also, think outside of standard chords and scales. Dissonance=gud in metal.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Quote by Base Ics
power chords.
Rlly, real chords (3 notes or more) don't rlly go well with metal I think. Not that I'm an expert on metal but when you use major distortion letting notes ring and playing too many notes gets messy quickly. If you want more than power chords play other genres I'd say.

Opeth disagree with you.

TS: Any and all chords work for metal, it's how you use them that makes the biggest difference. You might also want to learn some basic arrangement theory so you can spread some interesting chords across more than one instrument.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^100% correct.

Maybe try some more muting.

Learn theory (Triads) It'll help a lot.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Opeth disagree with you.

TS: Any and all chords work for metal, it's how you use them that makes the biggest difference. You might also want to learn some basic arrangement theory so you can spread some interesting chords across more than one instrument.

Damn I was gonna say that
Any examples of trash metal bands using other than powerchords?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic