stuff like canon rock is world famous now, because of all the people that have covered on guitar on youtube etc.

paul gilbert also has a video of him playing four seasons on guitar etc

...what does the pit think?

thanks
Well yes, but I do like some Gilbert and Buckethead, both are quite neo-classical. I do hate Malmsteen's interpretation of classical music, although Malmsteen and music usually results in me wanting to throw my speakers out the window....
Quote by Tom_hatton
Becki puts stupid ideas in your head. Take no notice of her.

shh you it's a good topic of conversation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEFeI78sqOg

yea some classical ones are good but you don't get the proper feel of the song and the proper meaning of it unless it is played on the correct instrument in my opinion.
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know what you could do? wear an eyepatch when you go out and say you're a pirate.
no. you cannot touch the tapping Bach: fugue in dm run that parkerfly taught me on ug 3 years ago!
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
Well, yes and no.

I used to think classical music is strictly for classical instruments, but I think in our day and age, especially with genres like Electronica, the classical musicians can do things Mozart and Beethoven could never even imagine. We can truly make the most flawless music, using things like computers.

However, I really hate how Malmsteen, Becker and Gilbert sound when playing classical music.
Quote by hyper_devil

yea some classical ones are good but you don't get the proper feel of the song and the proper meaning of it unless it is played on the correct instrument in my opinion.

i agree. i think it brings a great flavor to the piece if done on a different instrument (such as an electric guitar) especially if the player puts their own touch on the piece (such as canon rock) so it's not necessarily the same score of music, but the same song with a different feel due to artistic freedom and the tone of a different instrument
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
Matters? If its chamber music than it may sound good, but pieces with more musicians and you lose a lot of the dynamic. For example while things that are simple piano pieces translate over pretty well, anyone trying to turn a strings piece, woodwinds piece, or brass piece is going to lose the quality of the instrument that the composer specifically wanted for the piece. Doesn't mean that a reinterpretation is bad, but it is something to keep in mind when transposing a piece to the guitar.
i enjoy head
No I don't think so.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by saphrax
No.

"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
I've heard some great pieces of classical music getting totally butchered by I-must-play-a-zillion-notes-per-second guys so i say Nai to that
By the power of Greyskull
Quote by Guitar_tischler
I've heard some great pieces of classical music getting totally butchered by I-must-play-a-zillion-notes-per-second guys so i say Nai to that

ill drink to that
I like it if it's done well. Because as stated there are quite a few bad interpretations out there.
Quote by Ed Hunter
I took out a fly with my jet of piss once. I felt like God!

“This is ridiculous; my job is to sit here and do this bloo-loo-loo-loo, bloo-loo-loo-loo” - Paul Gilbert on sweep picking.
No, it's interesting on another instrument.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
no i like it.. but it always sounds better played by a full ochestera
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Classical music on overdriven guitars is the corniest thing these days. It sounds terribly forced and unnatural, wanting to play classical on the electric guitar but making it sound metal/rock. If I had to define rape musically, I would have to say "classical music on overdriven guitars". But whatever floats each one's boat, I guess.

But I wouldn't say classical can't get out of classical instruments; remember guys, modern instruments doesn't necessarily mean electric guitar, ffs. It can get pretty interesting within an electronic style, for example. Check UG member Xiaoxi's electronic rendition of a Bach fugue.
Classical doesn't have to be limited to traditional classical instruments. At the heart of classical is its composition techniques. Using other instruments simply create a different timbre.

But while this is true, I don't believe Malmsteen or JerryC are "interpreting" classical music. They've arranged classical music into rock tunes, but in the process they strip the classical music of their fundamental techniques and intentions. It's not these guys will never be able to really play or create classical music, but they simply have no clue in even the basis of classical composition to start writing/playing in a legitimately classical fashion.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Whiskky
Classical music on overdriven guitars is the corniest thing these days. It sounds terribly forced and unnatural, wanting to play classical on the electric guitar but making it sound metal/rock. If I had to define rape musically, I would have to say "classical music on overdriven guitars". But whatever floats each one's boat, I guess.

But I wouldn't say classical can't get out of classical instruments; remember guys, modern instruments doesn't necessarily mean electric guitar, ffs. It can get pretty interesting within an electronic style, for example. Check UG member Xiaoxi's electronic rendition of a Bach fugue.

yeah ill go with that also.
Quote by Whiskky

Isn't playing a fast Bach/Mozart piano piece impossible on guitar? Even for Malmsteen since he can't go so high or low at the same time and use 8 fingers?
Quote by J Mud
neoclassical?

Neoclassical is not neoclassical.

Actually, the neoclassical movement already existed. Mendelssohn and Stravinsky were some of the composers who promoted it.

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Isn't playing a fast Bach/Mozart piano piece impossible on guitar? Even for Malmsteen since he can't go so high or low at the same time and use 8 fingers?

That's not really the point. Malmsteen has no idea about how Bach or Mozart is meant to be played. He can play the correct notes, but he can't play the notes correctly. Same goes for pretty much all other shredders and neoclassical metal musicians.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Oct 13, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Neoclassical is not neoclassical.

Actually, the neoclassical movement already existed. Mendelssohn and Stravinsky were some of the composers who promoted it.

That's not really the point. Malmsteen has no idea about how Bach or Mozart is played. He can play the correct notes, but he can't play the notes correctly. Same goes for pretty much all other shredders and neoclassical metal musicians.

Yeah, just today I was watching a video where he starts with: "This is actually something by Bach" and plays it and it sounded like a generic shred.
Quote by CvPrEpKiLLaH
no. you cannot touch the tapping Bach: fugue in dm run that parkerfly taught me on ug 3 years ago!

AMEN!

bach was a genius. he made toccata in Dm for a tapping guitar!

Not to mention prelude in Cm for distorted guitar and bass =P

And vivaldi's summer presto. its fantastic stuff!
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeah, just today I was watching a video where he starts with: "This is actually something by Bach" and plays it and it sounded like a generic shred.

Yep, because he's lacking the fundamental knowledge to play it as classical music.

And I'm not ruling out the potential for classical music being played on distorted guitars or anything like that. Given the proper education and experience in classical composition, one can make a legitimate classical work using modern guitars and band ensembles.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yep, because he's lacking the fundamental knowledge to play it as classical music.

And I'm not ruling out the potential for classical music being played on distorted guitars or anything like that. Given the proper education and experience in classical composition, one can make a legitimate classical work using modern guitars and band ensembles.

I think that people can play classical music on any instrument that they want will have to face the fact that it won't ever sound as classical as on the original.
No.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
I play Classical music on synths and electric instruments aswell as piano and violin, it's just the logical evolution of the style considering the technology we have now.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Not if your name's Jason Becker.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I think that people can play classical music on any instrument that they want will have to face the fact that it won't ever sound as classical as on the original.

Well obviously, there would be a significant difference in timbre.

However, as I was saying, a fugue is a fugue, no matter what instrument(s) you write it for. Using 12 tone system, selective orchestration, retrograde inversions, traditional forms, terraced dynamics, etc are just a few of the many classical composition techniques out there. If a composer used these techniques in an idiomatically correct way, it's classical no matter what. It may be modern or contemporary, but there's no doubt that writing for contemporary instruments can be in the classical tradition.

Quote by dgme92
Not if your name's Jason Becker.

Not really. Air was an admirable attempt, but falls short of being legitimately classical.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana