Hey all, just have a few probably fiarly simple questions about the correlation between pickups and good sounding pinched harmonics.

Gear : Schecter C1+, Crate XT120R amp, and line6 tonecore pedal with uber metal module(dont like the sound it creates...) but i use the gain and shape from my amp because i feel the pedal i bought takes away from the tone my guitar puts out.

ive been playing about 2 years now, and love it, i play stuff like parkway drive just for example and i cant seem to get good sounding pinched harmonics out of my setup. on rare occasions i can get a decent one, but they just sound hollow and dont ring out very long. im using the stock duncan designed pickups and was thinking about putting a single emg on it instead of two because i hear emg's muddy-up the tone a bit. would emg's make the difference or is it my amp? i tried a 120watt(i think) line6 amp and my guitar sounded beautiful but just barely better harmonics. am i trying to make my guitar into something its not? a metal guitar?

If so i was thinking about getting another and having separate guitars for the different types of music i like playing. what would you guys suggest if you tihnk i should get another guitar in the <500 range??
Pinch Harmonics aren't in the pickup and amp. It's all in the technique.

I could plug a Fender Esquire into a Fender Deluxe and do them so you can surely do them with stupid amounts of gain.

Practice Practice Practice.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
they are a bit easier with high gain, but its all in the technique when it comes to pinch harmonics...your definitely doing something wrong

EDIT: line 6 amps suck, do not get one
Quote by yomoma21

EDIT: line 6 amps suck, do not get one

only the spiders suck....flextones are great
noted, thanks for the help. its just my friend has an esp i dont know what model and i do them no problem they sound phenomenal.

what amp would you guys reccommend? im not getting a stack, i cant afford it and wouldnt be able to make use of it.
how much do you have to spend, what type of music do you play, do you gig/play in a band/or jam with friends?
i just jam with friends right now i cant find any friends that are decent enough or have any musical ability lol.

but i play pretty much everything from protest the hero to emmure to parkway drive to arsonists get all the girls.

on a side note, i can get a pinched harmonic every time i try it just doesnt sound good IMO, which is what led me to believe its the setup im using.
Quote by Ghold125
only the spiders suck....flextones are great

Flextones are overated.

So are Vettas.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

I could plug a Fender Esquire into a Fender Deluxe and do them so you can surely do them with stupid amounts of gain.

+1.000.000
get your technique down really good
yeah all technique
also u wouldnt happen to want to sell that c-1+ would u? haha
seriously though...?
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
haha no way im keeping this guitar till im too old to play it probably lol.

i think its more of being in drop b with thin strings cause im noticing it sounds alot better in standard or down half a step
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

^Truth. Billy Gibbons can do it on an Esquire without pushing the gain very far at all on his amp. Proof enough that its in the technique.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
i can do them on clean sounds wank..but yea no gain required..just sounds high and pingy..can do harms on all strings all frets with some wicked gain :P
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Are you saying my amp is bad?
Quote by Ssargentslayer
Are you saying my amp is bad?

No, I'm saying your amp is clean and shimmery you knob.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Don't forget set-up and intonation. If the guitar isn't set-up, tuned and intonated right, then it can be hard to get pinch harmonics out correctly, because they'll have to be done in a different place than usual.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I spent like 3 weeks trying to get pinch harmonics with a big friggin' Tortex pick, but then I borrowed my buddy's Jazz III pick and got it INSTANTLY. Serious, these picks are awesome. Go try one out. You can get a pinch harmonic without having to shift the pick between your fingers like I've seen others do; you can get one just by holding the pick normally. This is mostly because they're so small. Keep in mind that each string has a "Sweet Spot" for P.H.s, so keep trying 'em in different areas along the strings.

Oh, and cranking the treble helps. And practice is the only thing that'll help you for sure...other than Jazz III picks...
Last edited by FryingNemo at Oct 13, 2008,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

yes thats correct, but even if he's got perfect technique if hes playing through a Fender Esquire into a Fender Deluxe the pinch harmonics are never going to sound like zakk wylde or dimebag.

i can do pinch harmonics on anything as well but they still sound different on different pieces of gear.

having said that, most people who ask about pinch harmonics on here want to know how they get them to sound more like those guys, so if we give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they have got the technique down then the ways of improving their PH sound would be to get higher output pickups and play with more gain.