I happily bought a Boss GT-6 so i can do some actual decent recordings through my mixer at our home studio at my drummers house, and also to actually get the sounds i wanted since i started playing guitar.

For 3 years ive been stuck with my shit line 6 spider II amp and when i get the boss, i was so happy,....until i plugged it in. My god, the amp like robbed my tone away it was horrible. I plugged it into my PA system, the mixer in to the computer, and my buddy's fender 212, and it sounds amazinggly good, yet i plug it in to my line 6 its horrible.

I change the output everytime to Line/PA when recording in the mixer/PA and to Combo imput on both the fender and my line 6.

Can i blame my line 6 for my sound being horrible? what can i do?

My dream would be if my line 6 sucks, i can get another amp
the spiders are horrible and cannot be fixed with a pedal.

looks like your dream has come true.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I hear that....i guess ill just be using it through a pa for now, until i get myself another amp.

I can't believe when i started out playing guitar, the guy at long and mcquade told me that the spider 2 would be the first and last amp id ever get....last time id ask him for help lol.
dude sounds like you need a tube power amp if you can get one cheap enough, and some speakers. all that sound colouration and the fact that line 6 spiders are absolute crap does not help. id look into a cheapish tube amp and using it in the preamp in section, or effects loop.
TBH, with a modeling unit, you'll want an amplifier and speakers with a really flat response. One of the reasons that his gt-6 sounds terrible through the spider (besides the modeler+modeler answer) is because the speaker in the spider is made to emphasize the nuances of the spider's preamp. And the reason that it sounds great through the PA is that the PA has full range speakers that pick up and send out every range of sound, where-as a guitar speaker emphasizes mids (since a guitar is a middy instrument).

My advice is to just keep running it through the PA. If you want to run it at home to jam/practice, think about picking up either some active studio monitors or some nice headphones.

On the other hand, if you want to use a guitar amp there are plenty of options out there. Tech 21 has an amp series called the Power Engine that is designed to run a pre-amp or modeler through. Or there are Atomic Amps that do the same thing except they are tube. Or if you want to keep the cost down, you can look for a used Roland JC-120. They are solid state and take pedals/modelers really well (if you check youtube for Boss' gt-8 demos they are being used to amplify them).
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
I’m putting my DigiTech RP250 pedal through a Line 6 Spider III 15w. I was playing it through the Clean channel, until I plugged my MP3 into my RP250 and into the Spider’s Clean channel, my God it was anything but Clean the songs were washy and echoie. So I started playing about and found I got a perfectly clean sound from my MP3 through the Crunch channel, with the gain turned down to 1. (I guess the Clean channel is processing the signal to clean it up) Even my guitar sound’s much crisper and brighter when playing the RP250 through the Crunch channel.

OK I know, you’re using a Spider 2 but I’d guess you can get a perfectly clean tone on the Spider 2, you just need to play about with it.

Another option I’ve heard is to get a ¼ to 1/8 jack guitar lead and plug the Boss GT8 into Auxiliary MP3/CD In plug. There’s a thread on this on the Line 6 forum for further info. Ppl seem to really like the results, saying it’s very clean. Worth checking out the forum.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Quote by Ghold125
modeling amp+modeling pedal=death to tone

+1

Save up for a tube amp and you'll see the GT-6 work much better.
Not familar with the Line6 available connections, but I have the Marshall MG250DFX amp (yes, I know the sound isn't that good on this amp). But what this amp has is a stereo effects loop in the back. Sooooo, I connect my MFX which is a Zoom G9.2tt, but the GT-6 would work the same, into the effects loop. This kills the Marshall preamp, thus leaving me with a 100 watt stereo cabinet sounding great!
This is a subject I do know something about as I've been through this myself. Some amps just really don't like these multi fx units regardless what you try to do. The Laney Hardcore series is certainly one and your Line 6 is another. Truth be told, there is no guitar amp that will make your GT6 sound good because any guitar amp will colour the sound too much. You need to use a FRFR rig. That could be the Tech 21 Power Engine, though personally I wasn't too impressed with that. The Atomic amps are very good but also expensive and you can't try one before you buy. The best thing to do is to buy a powered PA speaker and use that as your amp as that will reproduce the tones your GT6 produces best. Try Mackie and Yamaha, both of which are good.

I tried all of this myself and now I use a Marshall valve amp with my Digitech GNX 3000 purely for effects and use the full modelling capabilities of the GNX3K when I practise with headphones. That works for me but then I like the Marshall tone but if I wanted to use modelling more live I'd certainly be getting a powered PA speaker.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
k so like my spider 2 doesnt have aux in because thats for spider 3 and newer. Also, i like the idea of having a power amp and a cab or just loudspeakers i dont care. I do gig often, but for now im just plugging into the house pa system instead of bringing my amp. I don't need anything loud anymore, and like i was looking at either something close to the power to my spider, but i dont want to spend so much money on it because i dont have so much for guitar stuff seeing im still in school.

I dont have expierience with any good amps seeing ive been stuck with this p.o.s for 3 years. I was wanting maybe a fender FM series amp (not DSP, those would give me the same problem), or maybe like a crate power block to use with a pair of loudspeakers or a cab.

Any suggestions to help me make a small gigging rig with a budget under hopefully $300?
Ibanez S570b [Dimarzio Mo'Joe & PAF Joe]
Schecter Omen-6 [Dimarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire]
GFS Xaviere Acoustic

Peavey JSX
Mesa Boogie Traditional Slant 412
THD Hot Plate
Quote by Mwoit
+1

Save up for a tube amp and you'll see the GT-6 work much better.

Oh also, wouldnt using my gt-6 through a tube amp ruin the amps tone? i read this so many times on google that it made me stay away from tube amps.
GFS Xaviere Acoustic

Peavey JSX
THD Hot Plate
The problem with using any kind of guitar amp with a modelling unit, even if you're connecting through the effects loop is that the speaker is voiced for a guitar amp and your GT6 needs a FRFR setup. The other problem is that you should never connect any kind of distortion through the effects loop as it's an effect that is supposed to go in front of the amp. I'm not sure of the technical reasons for this but I know that Marshall specifically warn people about doing this.

$300 for active PA speakers isn't much but you could try looking at either somebody like Samson or possibly Behringer. Behringer equipment is generally quite cheap for what you get and I know quite a few guys who use modellers rate their active PA speakers very highly for that purpose.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
4 Cable Method?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by BH7697
Oh also, wouldnt using my gt-6 through a tube amp ruin the amps tone? i read this so many times on google that it made me stay away from tube amps.

That too depends on the amp. When using pedals like this you don't need alot of extra crap on your amp that just gets in the way of the processor. I've got a peavey windsor head that sounds ok with my POD, but not great. The Valve Junior with the 1 simple little dial acts like it was made for processor pedals. Before you buy any amp or PA check it out with you existing equipment. You could make a bad situation even worse.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Thanks for all the comments guys, really.

Ok, so I'm just gunna go out on a stretch here that will probably help me figure out my gear. I don't gig anything bigger than a small bar/club stage type setting (and occasional hall). I want something that will make the gt-6 sound the best that it can, and also is loud enough to be heard with a drummer.

I am on a budget because i dont want to shell out too much money for guitar equipment since i dont get paid much at these gigs and im still in school (paying for gas in the summer sucks!!)

So like basically, i desperatly need a new amplifier system (amp or PA) that is under a budget of like 300 or less. doesn't have to be top of the line obviously, just something good. With the suggestions anyone makes, i take them seriously and will head to long and mcquade to try any of these out.

Thanks, this problem is still buggin me, im embaressed to turn on the spider with the gt-6 on lol.
GFS Xaviere Acoustic

Peavey JSX
THD Hot Plate