Ok, so I plan on setting up a small rig at home for recording guitar. I've got the soundcard and everything sorted but I can't decide on what microphone. My first thought was the SM-57 but now I'm not sure.

I'm sure I will mostly want to record distorted guitars but also some clean guitar and even some acoustic. This led me to think that maybe a condenser would be better.

What do you guys think?

Also, I was thinking of buying a bass and recording that in instead of using Kontakt2 like normal. Would I be able to use a SM-57/ condenser mic with the bass or have to get another mic?

I have a budget of £100 for the microphone
It can do everything you want acceptably, especially with your small budget. And actually, if you are using bass, the sound pressure levels are even greater so a condenser, unless it has a pad, is not an option.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
So a 57 wont ruin any "clean" sounds such as my acoustic?

Like I said I use Kontakt2 for bass at the moment and get a good sound from it but I would prefer for it to have a more human feel. I'm willing to stick with Kontakt if a condenser would sound a lot better, but if it's only a tiny difference, I'd prefer real bass using a mic.
For the bass, I would suggest DI'ing it. You'll get the human feel you want, but you won't have to worry about the mic.

For the mic, the 57 is great for distorted sounds, decent for cleans but not the best choice for acoustic. It depends what is the most important to you. The Studio Projects B1 is a nice condenser in your price range, and works great for clean and acoustic sounds.
There is poetry in despair.
OK, at the moment I think I'm sticking with the SM-57 and I'll look into DI Boxes for the bass.

Any suggestions for a DI? I haven't really had any experience with them.
Interfaces and preamps often include a DI (also called Hi-Z) input, so they may not be necessary. If you want brand names, look into Radial and Whirlwind, and SansAmp (usually under Tech21) for bass-specific stuff.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101